Electrician Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the supply house the other day, and I hear a conversation regarding the 2014 NEC now requiring your service conductors to be colored - no more tape. So on a 240 volt / 1 phase residential service, you are now required to install a black, red and white conductor.

Haven't seen the new code yet - can anyone confirm?

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
At the supply house the other day, and I hear a conversation regarding the 2014 NEC now requiring your service conductors to be colored - no more tape. So on a 240 volt / 1 phase residential service, you are now required to install a black, red and white conductor.

Where you gonna get colored URD???? I run most of my underground in pipe so I'll just have to use the colored XHHW. Crazy thing is, our state hasn't adopted the 2011 code yet!!!!:no:

·
Banned
1,486 Posts

HOPE NOT .

Pete

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are correct, the colored wire is and has been out for a while. It has never been in the code as a requirement that I am aware of.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
There has been a color code in the NEC.... 1937 to 1975.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
etc.
:whistling2:

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
More communism if true......try temp lighting a site with 60 watt bulbs, thanks Obummer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There has been a color code in the NEC.... 1937 to 1975.
Yes - but has there been a color code for service entrance conductors? Common practice has been to install three black conductors and tag the neutral whit white tape.

# 6 and smaller are generally required to be colored.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
etc.
:whistling2:

110.15 deals with the grounded phase of a 4w delta system, so this would not apply to a residential 1 phase 240 volt service.

200.6 does not indicate that the ungrounded conductors have to be a solid color - "sizes larger than six shall be identified"

200.7 - does not apply to the ungrounded conductors

·
Super Moderator
22,033 Posts
I don't believe 90% of what I hear at the supply company unless I am saying it---:laughing:

Reactions: mark35

·
Super Moderator
22,033 Posts
Last thing I heard that was a conductor was considered inside a building if it was in conduit outside and the second story jutted outside the first floor. He said that made it inside the footprint of the building and insisted it was in the code. I have not found it.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Where you gonna get colored URD???? I run most of my underground in pipe so I'll just have to use the colored XHHW. Crazy thing is, our state hasn't adopted the 2011 code yet!!!!:no:
Good ole Cali is still on 08. What a joke! How hard is it to just start enforcing 2014.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
spoke with the local inspector, and he indicated that the 2014 NEC will require the conductors to be colored.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts