Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
549 Posts
I get someone to e-mail me the PDF. I use it on my computer, iPad, and iPhone. With the right PDF viewer, it's great.

I haven't had a hard copy of the code since I took the test.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,571 Posts
Where are you guys getting code books and PDF format....

What "package" gives you the best deal...
I got mine from NFPA. I think they are the only ones selling the pdf

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,571 Posts
I get someone to e-mail me the PDF. I use it on my computer, iPad, and iPhone. With the right PDF viewer, it's great.

I haven't had a hard copy of the code since I took the test.
I like having both. Can you search the pdf that you have? Sometimes it is hard to get a copy that is searchable.

·
Banned
549 Posts
I like having both. Can you search the pdf that you have? Sometimes it is hard to get a copy that is searchable.
Yes, it's searchable. The unsearchable one is the one available for free for download.

I find the PDF so much better than using a book. Same with when I am out of the office, I use the iPad comfortably. I guess I'm just used to it because 100% of the books I read are on the iPad now, no more paper.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,571 Posts
Dennis, what you doing with the 2014?
I like staying up on things. Also I heard that NC may go to the 2014 for commercial work and stay on the 2011 for dwellings. How ridiculous is that

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,571 Posts
Yes, it's searchable. The unsearchable one is the one available for free for download.

I find the PDF so much better than using a book. Same with when I am out of the office, I use the iPad comfortably. I guess I'm just used to it because 100% of the books I read are on the iPad now, no more paper.
Funny how I rarely need the book in the field unless someone asks me a question at the supply house and I have to prove my answer -- the supply company has one so I leave mine at home but I still like the book. For searching I use the pdf.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,571 Posts
yeah Im hearing the same thing myself.

what changes are there for commercial?
I really haven't spent alot of time in that area as I don't usually do much commercial. I see lots of changes in classifications , spray application equipment, health care, etc

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Search is a function of the reader, not the file.
Not necessarily. You can save just about anything as a .PDF such as scanned documents, but they aren't searchable. The file has to be created as searchable and every character has to be indexed so the search function can operate properly.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
I bought mine from Mike Holt. It's a spiral bound and I love the format. Mike threw in a 'Changes to the 2008 NEC' book for free for being a repeat customer (many times over as a matter of fact).

·
Registered
785 Posts
Mike threw in a 'Changes to the 2008 NEC' book for free for being a repeat customer (many times over as a matter of fact).
I got one too. Why would I want to know changes to the 2008 code cycle when purchasing the 2014? Mine went straight into the trash I don't have the room to hoard Mike Holt books

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I got one too. Why would I want to know changes to the 2008 code cycle when purchasing the 2014? Mine went straight into the trash I don't have the room to hoard Mike Holt books
I was wondering if the 2008 was mistyped

yeah, why the hell you need something that was relevant 6 years ago?

·
808 Posts
Massachusetts Adopts 2014 NEC

Massachusetts Adopts 2014 NEC

The Massachusetts Board of Fire Prevention Regulators has approved the adoption of the 2014 National Electrical Code (NFPA 70, 2014 Edition). The approval will be effective on January 1, 2014 with an assortment of amendments particular to Massachusetts.

To see the amendments please go to the following Web page:

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dfs/board-meetings/2013-9-7-massachusetts-2014-code.pdf

·
Registered
365 Posts
I like staying up on things. Also I heard that NC may go to the 2014 for commercial work and stay on the 2011 for dwellings. How ridiculous is that
That's the pisser. If we stay on the 2011 when we do go to the 2017 we will have to play catch up with the 2014 and 2017 changes thanks to the NC home builders association. From what I see is they are trying to hold off any more changes that increases the cost of building a home. But when the new code dose hit there will be 6 years of change at once dumped onto a new construction home. Who's to say that in 2017 the market can take that big of a hit at once.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts