Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2017 NEC handbook is $200 ****ing dollars. That is more than I pay for my Contractors license.
I think this code thing is really getting out of hand.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
IMO, the handbook could sell for any price they want. It's the NEC that should be free. A private organization shouldn't be profiting off of showing us the law that we are required to follow.

That's why I haven't and will never again pay for the NEC.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,353 Posts
The 2017 NEC handbook is $200 ****ing dollars. That is more than I pay for my Contractors license.
I have a pdf of the handbook for the 2011 nec and I have looked at it 2 or 3 times

·
1,726 Posts
i would imagine it costs $200 to make. i think all nfpa material is at good prices. they do provide some free information as well, check out there site sometime.

·
415 Posts
I just ordered 9, 2017 books and NEC tabs for less than $900 altogether from Summit Electric in Ft Worth.
I tried to get the boss to wait knowing that the early printings are error filled but he wanted to get them anyway while still had money in the reference materials budget.

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
IMO, the handbook could sell for any price they want. It's the NEC that should be free. A private organization shouldn't be profiting off of showing us the law that we are required to follow.

It is free. Just not in a version that is useable.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just paid $165 with shipping for NFPA 72 handbook. never purchased fire alarm code book . it's been very educational . but $200 yikes! I just got the notice for my favorite required 15 hour new code update class and it's over $200 with book. it really annoys me seeing the unlicensed workers my employer hires to work as unsupervised electricians while we have to pay for code books and continuing education courses.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts

So all of the law books having all of the federal, state and local statutes should be free to everyone? Those books are all copyrighted and published by private companies too.
The courts only require "free access" and that does not mean you get a free physical or electronic copy. It means that there is a physical location where you can go to get "free access" to the laws.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
So all of the law books having all of the federal, state and local statutes should be free to everyone?
The book form? No, it should cost what it costs to bind the book itself, not a huge profit to a private company. The information should also be freely available everywhere without jumping thru hoops.

Those books are all copyrighted and published by private companies too.
The second they become law they should lose their copyright. That is BS to copyright something and then have the government force us to buy it.

The courts only require "free access" and that does not mean you get a free physical or electronic copy. It means that there is a physical location where you can go to get "free access" to the laws.
The "courts" are half of the problem here.

Like I said, this is all a scam, no different than the crooks on the CMP making code to force us to buy more expensive products from the manufacturers that hand them the envelopes of cash under the table.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,048 Posts
Every three years I am required to attend an 8 hour code update class. The rule is you have to show up on time, or you can't enter the room, and you must carry in a copy of the current code book the class is based on. Handbooks don't count, it has to be the NEC. Its fun to watch one or two guys walk in with handbooks when the entrance applications clearly state handbooks don't meet the class requirement and those guys have to leave and re-submit and pay twice.

Reactions: Majewski

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
The book form? No, it should cost what it costs to bind the book itself, not a huge profit to a private company. The information should also be freely available everywhere without jumping thru hoops.
In the case of the NEC, the cost of actually producing the book, is a very small part of the total expense to produce the code. Freely available is a very subject term, but all of the NFPA codes and standards can be viewed on their website for free....not a very user friendly system, but anyone can view all of their codes and standards if they have internet access.

The second they become law they should lose their copyright. That is BS to copyright something and then have the government force us to buy it.
Actually they laws are not copyrighted when they are passed, they are only copyrighted by the publisher

Like I said, this is all a scam, no different than the crooks on the CMP making code to force us to buy more expensive products from the manufacturers that hand them the envelopes of cash under the table.
Please submit your documented evidence of that to you local states attorney.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
In the case of the NEC, the cost of actually producing the book, is a very small part of the total expense to produce the code.
I don't care. Once it becomes law, it should be freely available for everyone.

Actually they laws are not copyrighted when they are passed, they are only copyrighted by the publisher
Huh? That clearly went right over your head.

The text that becomes law should be not copyrighted.

I can't go out and make the electrical rules we have to follow into a free pamphlet and hand it out to everyone because it's been copyrighted.

Please submit your documented evidence of that to you local states attorney.
If I had proof you would be in prison already.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
You said they don't have to provide you with free law books for all of the state and federal laws so how is the code different? It is freely available on the NFPA site.

Huh? That clearly went right over your head.

But that is not how it works with the state and federal statutes...if you want a physical copy, you have to buy a book from a publisher and the publisher holds the copyright. Maybe it should be different, but it isn't.

If I had proof you would be in prison already.
I have no idea of what you are talking about....I have nothing to do with the NFPA and am not even a member of the organization. The only connection that I have is the same as yours...I use the code that they publish.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
You said they don't have to provide you with free law books for all of the state and federal laws so how is the code different?
I didn't say that. My words are clear, go back and read them.

But that is not how it works with the state and federal statutes...if you want a physical copy, you have to buy a book from a publisher and the publisher holds the copyright. Maybe it should be different, but it isn't.
Again, I was very clear when I said it was a corrupt system. There is absolutely no justification in having a private corporation hold a copyright and make huge profits by selling us the laws that we have to follow.

If we have to follow a certain set of electrical codes, then a teacher should be able to print out copies of those codes and give them to the students. The students shouldn't have to pay astronomical prices for those codes. The fact that they do shows the corruption.
I have no idea of what you are talking about....I have nothing to do with the NFPA and am not even a member of the organization. The only connection that I have is the same as yours...I use the code that they publish.
Excuse me, I thought you said that you were on a CMP. If not, then I will allow them to spare you when they finally crack down on this criminal activity.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Yes they are very clear...
Why don't you finish the quote instead of being disingenuous?

The fact that you left it out shows that you k ow you don't have a leg to stand on.

Here:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got a good condition paperback copy of the 2014 on Amazon for around $40. By the time the 2017 code is the standard Im sure you will be able to find it much cheaper.

·
Registered
559 Posts

NFPA has no say if the NEC becomes law in your area or not. They should not give up their copyrights if your locale decides to use the document they produced. They are a private company creating a document that anybody can use. If you want it for free, your b*tch should be with whatever municipality that makes it the law.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
NFPA has no say if the NEC becomes law in your area or not. They should not give up their copyrights if your locale decides to use the document they produced. They are a private company creating a document that anybody can use. If you want it for free, your b*tch should be with whatever municipality that makes it the law.
Bologna. The NFPA lobbies (i.e. pays off politicians) to have it's publications used.

My "b*tch" is with the entire system of corruption that you sit by and watch, and defend.

But go ahead and tell me again how the government forcing you at gunpoint to purchase a private company's products at exorbitant prices, even as far as just learning the law, is a fair and balanced practice :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts