Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
3,066 Posts
Bonding of switches not required... so, something that should have been done already.

I'm still going to bond switches that will have metallic cover plates.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before 2018 we did not have to bond a switch with a conductor because it is bonded through the device box, where receptacles, even though the same applies to them, we still had to bond them with a conductor.
2018 code changed that and specifies ANY device requires a bond conductor. 10-612(3)+(5)

According to ESA in Ontario the code is getting updated in 2021 to allow switches to be bonded through the box again. It’s already allowed in Ontario and is in the most recent bulletins.

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,366 Posts
Actually I did hear something, but only rumour and not sure if just Ontario or CEC...

Torque specifications for installations - certificate of calibration on tools required
Heat detectors in garages - to be added to the smoke detector / carbon monoxide circuit

Cheers
John

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I did hear something, but only rumour and not sure if just Ontario or CEC...

Torque specifications for installations - certificate of calibration on tools required
Heat detectors in garages - to be added to the smoke detector / carbon monoxide circuit

Cheers
John
Location of fire alarms is a building code.

And how would a heat detector work in a dwelling without a FA panel? Is there such a thing as a heat alarm?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Who knew? Besides you.....:cool:
Heat detectors in garages have been code in MB since about 2010. Kidde makes a relay for the heat detector @emtnut posted that links with the detectors in the house. It sends a 9v signal to activate the alarms inside. It fits inside a deep octagon. Actually it fits inside a regular octagon but I would not recommend.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,007 Posts
I haven't bought switches for quite sometime now. Can you still get them without the bonding screw, or do they all have them now ?

·
Super Moderator Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
3,066 Posts
@emtnut I just saw some pictures of your training centre, looks pretty cool. A lot of stuff crammed into a small space... forces you to be organized I guess.

Cheers
John
I didn't know emtnut was working again lol

I think you mean eddy current.

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,475 Posts
You must be the only guy alive who gets excited about a new code book (besides the manufacturers who get their greasy fingers deeper into our wallets).
Ive already reserved a copy from PS Knight for $80

btw, NOT excited about having to buy another code book

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Your right I meant to say @eddy current. Sorry @emtnut ...

Cheers
John
Hey if you are ever in town come by, I will give you the tour.
The pic on the website of the training centre from outside is just the new small building that only has two offices and one classroom. Our other building (the main hall) also has 4 other classrooms. The pics of the fire alarm lab and motor lab are two of those rooms

1 - 20 of 37 Posts