You finished reading it yet ?? 馃榿
No need to read it.
On each new inspection the Inspectors will tell what you did wrong. Lol

Light Bender
plumber
Discussion Starter #23
You finished reading it yet ?? 馃榿
Lol no. Too busy lately.
I did take a quick glance and noticed a few things.
-Low voltage is now up to 1000v
-The bonding of the switches thing removed
-Tables 6,9,11 and 19 have changed. Seems odd at first but I think it might actually be better, need more time to check them out.
-Table 1-4 now have a column for the mm2 of each conductor.
-Table 39 is gone and so is the rule that said we could use it (4-004(22).
-and the weirdest thing.......There is no longer an index at the back of the book.

Electrical Contractor
Owner
Lol no. Too busy lately.
-Tables 6,9,11 and 19 have changed. Seems odd at first but I think it might actually be better, need more time to check them out.
-and the weirdest thing.......There is no longer an index at the back of the book.
6 and 9 seemed to be a waste of paper.
All the years before we only needed 1 chart. Guess someone wanted to show off their math skills on fill calculations.

Registered
Lol no. Too busy lately.
No 39 ? Thats rough. And the loss of index is weird. Maybe because they want to push the digital pdf with the search function?

Registered
I won't find anything without the index. I wouldn't want to write a test without it either.

Tim.

Reactions: RRF

Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
Table 39 and the code with it too !! That's a fairly major change.

Wonder if there is just a new rule somewhere, or the load calc is different ? adjusted amperage on tables ??

Light Bender
plumber
Discussion Starter #28
Table 39 and the code with it too !! That's a fairly major change.

Wonder if there is just a new rule somewhere, or the load calc is different ? adjusted amperage on tables ??
That was my first thought as well but I have not found anything yet

Light Bender
plumber
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Here is another interesting one.
8-304 max outlets per circuit

so apparently 100% rated 15 and 20 amp breakers are available now? I鈥檝e never seen one. Anyway, Here is the change.

15 amp circuit with 80% rated overcurrent = 12 outlets max
15 amp circuit with 100% rated overcurrent = 15 outlets max
20 amp circuit with 80% rated overcurrent = 16 outlets max
20 amp circuit with 100% rated overcurrent = 20 outlets max

Light Bender
plumber
Discussion Starter #30
Some more

26-704(2)

All outdoor 15 and 20 amp receptacles within 2.5 m of grade must be GFI protected.
(Old code that was only for residential.)

26-652 branch circuits below ground level in designated flood zones.
All circuits located below ground level (basement) in a designated flood zone must have GFI protection

26-712 sump pump receptacles must be located above flood elevation in a designated flood zone.

Registered
Electrical Contractor
Thanks @eddy current for sharing! 4-004(22) and Table 39 have previously not been allowed under the Manitoba electric code, so no loss to us there lol. Sorry about the rest of ya!
With the 8-304 16 outlets on a 20A circuit, I wonder if at some point we won't end up where the NEC is with 15A receptacles being allowed on 20A circuits.
The 26-704(2) makes sense, I mean stupid people don't only electrocute themselves at home... :rolleyes:
The 26-652 and 26-712 are interesting... A good chunk of Manitoba is the red river valley and I'm guessing would be considered a designated food zone. But I have to wonder how that works with a sump pump receptacle... My parents live south of Winnipeg in the flood plain, they have a 4 ft flood wall that can be built around their house in bad years. So if the sump pump is in the basement, the receptacle has to be 1-2ft above the first floor level?? Those pumps better come with longer cords I guess...馃し鈥嶁檪锔忦煠封嶁檪锔

Registered
Electrical Contractor
I won't find anything without the index. I wouldn't want to write a test without it either.

Tim.
No kidding! And they only save 30ish pages out of 941 (2018)..... Tests with the random mostly obscure stuff would be a pain to try and find. Or tests will be done with an ereader with a codebook pdf on it?

Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
So if the sump pump is in the basement, the receptacle has to be 1-2ft above the first floor level?? Those pumps better come with longer cords I guess...馃し鈥嶁檪锔忦煠封嶁檪锔
Works out well if you have a IP-68 rated panel enclosure in the basement 馃檭

Registered
Electrical Contractor
Works out well if you have a IP-68 rated panel enclosure in the basement 馃檭
No it doesn't! IP ratings by themselves are not acceptable. 2-402 Table 65, you would nee a type 6 or 6P depending if its a temporary or prolonged submersion. I can only imagine what the cost of that is. But we can flood the panel as long as the receptacle stays dry lol.

Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
No it doesn't! IP ratings by themselves are not acceptable. 2-402 Table 65, you would nee a type 6 or 6P depending if its a temporary or prolonged submersion. I can only imagine what the cost of that is. But we can flood the panel as long as the receptacle stays dry lol.
IP-68 = Nema 6P (for the most part)
That was my point thou .... can flood everything, just not the sump recept :LOL:

Will be interesting to see if there are any Appendix B notes on that rule, lol

Reactions: Viggmundir
21 - 37 of 37 Posts