Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've got a question about an 'Industrial Control Transformer'.
There's an elevator which is fed from a 120/208Vac panel, with a 60 amp 3 phase disconnect in between. The 3 phases come in and feed the motor circuit. From the top of that circuit, two lines tap off and go to 2 - 1.6A fuses and then to the 0.15kVA - 208Vac to 120Vac 'Industrial Control Transformer'. (which is single phase)
Anyone have an idea why on earth the installers didn't just bring a 15amp line to neutral circuit from the panel to the 1.6amp fuses to feed the control circuit? Is it an elevator code situation where the entire system must be able to be de-energized with one disconnect? That's all I can really think of.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
they just didn't run a 4 wire cable, they could have run the 60 amp with a neutral then 1 leg go to a control fuse, no need for separate 120v circuit.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,189 Posts
Maybe 240 volt also

The elevator may have dual voltage ratings 480 volt or 240 volt, then they would need the xformer so they probilaly build them all the same.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
We can only bring power to the elevator room and the Otis guys take it from there. Usually 480 3ø and a 120 fusible disconnect for cab lights.
On my end they want a second 120 volt circuit ran through the disconnect for service gfci receptacles in machine room and shaft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts