Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first time posting here. I've read around a LOT on here, and anything else I could get my hands on. I want get into an electrician apprenticeship. My friend my age (21) is a 3rd year, and shown me what a great choice he made with his life early on. He's in Toronto with the Joint Apprenticeship Counsel.

I however have not a bit of construction or electrical experience, physics course, or hookups to get me started.
I do however have a huge passion for working hard, and working with my hands. I would absolutely love to get into an apprenticeship.

So, here's where some help from you guys come in. What is the best way to make an average guy get into an apprenticeship? I live in Toronto, I've completed two years of college for police foundations, and am very open to taking more education, and or moving out west. I have about 6k saved up for what ever I need in the future.

I am open to any and all options :) ... Yes. That includes Fort McMurray...

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Welcome!

Sounds like you have two choices then. One, you stick around in Toronto and make it your current lifes work to secure an apprenticeship.. that won't be easy, but it can be done. That involves calling every contractor every week, calling specific contractors every morning, stopping into supply houses, putting up resumes EVERYWHERE, getting any job near electricians that you can and just slugging it out until the stars align.. and they will.

Second.. Take your saved up cash and put together a really good plan for travelling west to secure an apprenticeship. That might be Alberta or Saskatchewan.. have a solid plan, don't just chance your luck.. it won't work out. They are always hurting for new bodies to fill spots, so you can get in pretty easy if you meet the right people at the right time.. and pay will be decent, probably lots of OT as well. But you'll be stuck out in the middle of BumPhuck, NW (No Where). It could be awesome, it could be your worst decision in life... who knows.

Could always try Toronto for 3 months straight, giving it absolutely 100%.. if that doesn't pan, go west around May.

Hope that's some help in the thought process.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Most important thing at your age is DON'T get your GF pregnant.. it will ruin your life's master plan...
Boy isn't that the truth. I love my son, don't get me wrong, but my life would probably be much different if I didn't have a kid at 20. I probably would have been able to go back to school and wouldn't be stuck being an electrician. That's why I always tell our young apprentices to go to school and get an education before it's too late and you get stuck doing electrical work for the rest of your life.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Boy isn't that the truth. I love my son, don't get me wrong, but my life would probably be much different if I didn't have a kid at 20. I probably would have been able to go back to school and wouldn't be stuck being an electrician. That's why I always tell our young apprentices to go to school and get an education before it's too late and you get stuck doing electrical work for the rest of your life.
Well, not all of us look at it as being "stuck" with being an electrician. It just depends what you want to do with your life. I'd much rather be out meeting people and making them happy than "stuck" behind a desk somewhere. My wife and I didn't have our 1st "kid" until I was the ripe old age of 24. He's now working with me so I guess, as of now, he's "stuck" being an electrician. At least we don't have to worry about getting "fired"

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Well, not all of us look at it as being "stuck" with being an electrician. It just depends what you want to do with your life. I'd much rather be out meeting people and making them happy than "stuck" behind a desk somewhere. My wife and I didn't have our 1st "kid" until I was the ripe old age of 24. He's now working with me so I guess, as of now, he's "stuck" being an electrician. At least we don't have to worry about getting "fired"
What I want out of life is to be able to stand up straight when I'm 60. To not have a bad back, bad knee, bad shoulder, carpal tunnel, etc. I don't have any of this yet, I'm only 34, but I know it's only a matter of time. Working in this trade (or any trade) is not the way to achieve that goal. I tell every kid I meet to stay far, far away from the trades. Go to school and get a career where you get paid to use your brain, not your back. I will not be happy if my son follows my path in life and chooses manual labor over a career with a future.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
What I want out of life is to be able to stand up straight when I'm 60. To not have a bad back, bad knee, bad shoulder, carpal tunnel, etc. I don't have any of this yet, I'm only 34, but I know it's only a matter of time. Working in this trade (or any trade) is not the way to achieve that goal. I tell every kid I meet to stay far, far away from the trades. Go to school and get a career where you get paid to use your brain, not your back. I will not be happy if my son follows my path in life and chooses manual labor over a career with a future.
Name a career with a "future". Maybe a career in crime?:laughing::laughing: Go to college, get a degree, and then work at Mcdonald's because no one is looking for someone with your training. Meanwhile back at the jobsite they're looking for intelligent workers that will at least show up for work and will make decent money. You gonna get your son into politics? At least he'll get decent health care coverage!!:laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Name a career with a "future". Maybe a career in crime?:laughing::laughing: Go to college, get a degree, and then work at Mcdonald's because no one is looking for someone with your training. Meanwhile back at the jobsite they're looking for intelligent workers that will at least show up for work and will make decent money. You gonna get your son into politics? At least he'll get decent health care coverage!!:laughing::laughing:
Plenty of college graduates land good jobs with good pay and benefits, and they don't have to slowly kill themselves everyday for their paycheck like we do.

Yes, if you are an art history major, or one of the trillion psychology majors you probably will not find a job and will end up waiting tables for a living.

However, if you pick a sensible major, you can find a job that you can make a good living at and retire healthy.

I am one of the highest paid guys in a company with 70ish guys. I make significantly higher than the average electrician in this area. Both of my sisters have masters degrees. They are both younger than me and both make more than I do. One has a degree in finance and hospital administration and works for the biggest health care system in central MA. The other has a degree in bio-medical engineering and works for a pharmaceutical company. They have a future. I will work myself to death unless I end up on disability first. Actually, hopefully, I will be able to get out of this industry before that happens.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
EBFD6 said:
Plenty of college graduates land good jobs with good pay and benefits, and they don't have to slowly kill themselves everyday for their paycheck like we do. Yes, if you are an art history major, or one of the trillion psychology majors you probably will not find a job and will end up waiting tables for a living. However, if you pick a sensible major, you can find a job that you can make a good living at and retire healthy. I am one of the highest paid guys in a company with 70ish guys. I make significantly higher than the average electrician in this area. Both of my sisters have masters degrees. They are both younger than me and both make more than I do. One has a degree in finance and hospital administration and works for the biggest health care system in central MA. The other has a degree in bio-medical engineering and works for a pharmaceutical company. They have a future. I will work myself to death unless I end up on disability first. Actually, hopefully, I will be able to get out of this industry before that happens.
. You say all the things I think everyday , and i'm about to be 44 . I'm still going pretty strong . But I wonder for how much longer ? I used to think this was the greatest thing ever , and it's a lot better than a ton of careers , but I wished I followed through with electrical engineering ! I'm looking Into online courses now actually .

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
. You say all the things I think everyday , and i'm about to be 44 . I'm still going pretty strong . But I wonder for how much longer ? I used to think this was the greatest thing ever , and it's a lot better than a ton of careers , but I wished I followed through with electrical engineering ! I'm looking Into online courses now actually .
It's not all bad. This is better than the job I had stocking groceries before I got into the trade. I make a decent living, own a home, and have been able to provide a pretty good life for my family for the last 15 years (well, the last 10 anyway). When I got into the trade 15 years ago I loved it. Now it's just ok. Somedays I can tolerate it, somedays I absolutely hate it. All in all if I knew 15 years ago what I know today I would not have entered the trade. It's not a physically sustainable career. Sure the money's good, but at what cost? I can not in good conscience recommend this career to a 21 year old kid. Go to college for engineering and work smart not hard.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Hahahahaha, I haven't done much back breaking grunt work since I was a second year. I use my brain all the time and love my job. You should keep your mouth shut and stop trying to deter the youth from becoming electricians. This is a very rewarding career if you aren't a big baby.

·
Registered
942 Posts
It's not all bad. This is better than the job I had stocking groceries before I got into the trade. I make a decent living, own a home, and have been able to provide a pretty good life for my family for the last 15 years (well, the last 10 anyway). When I got into the trade 15 years ago I loved it. Now it's just ok. Somedays I can tolerate it, somedays I absolutely hate it. All in all if I knew 15 years ago what I know today I would not have entered the trade. It's not a physically sustainable career. Sure the money's good, but at what cost? I can not in good conscience recommend this career to a 21 year old kid. Go to college for engineering and work smart not hard.
Your doing something wrong if you still have to bust your ass with 15 years experience

·
Registered
272 Posts
I dont knnow if it was mentioned to you. However we have more and more guys getting D.U.I's and D.W.I's.

No license= no way to work
No way to work= no job
No job= video games in Mom's basement

If your drinking stay home or call a cab. Not trying to come off all preacher like. But it is one of the few reasons your company will not think twice about axing your a$$.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Hahahahaha, I haven't done much back breaking grunt work since I was a second year. I use my brain all the time and love my job. You should keep your mouth shut and stop trying to deter the youth from becoming electricians. This is a very rewarding career if you aren't a big baby.
Your doing something wrong if you still have to bust your ass with 15 years experience
I'm a commercial/industrial service guy. I work alone everyday. If something needs to be done, I'm the only guy there to do it. I wouldn't say I "bust my ass", but this is a physical trade. I don't see any way around that.

A lot of what I do is brain work, troubleshooting, etc. But, there is also still a lot of physical work involved. If a ladder needs to be carried, I'm doing it. Pulling wires, digging trenches, hammerdrilling through concrete walls, running conduits, building strutracks, etc, etc.

You guys don't do any of this? You must be magicians, not electricians. Yes, a small percentage of guys become project managers or non-working foremen and don't have to physically work. But, most electricians to some degree still have to actually get in there and get there hands dirty after 15, 20, 30 years in the field.

If you can still go to work everyday and enjoy what you do that's great. I read this all the time on here about guys who just love their job. However, you guys are the exception not the rule. Of all the guys I have met in person the percentage that love their job is much smaller than the percentage that are miserable, broken down, and wish that someone had persuaded them to do something better with their life way back when they made the mistake of getting into this trade. I'm just trying to do a service to todays youth and give them a heads up before it's too late for them.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
I really can't say I agree with you. I don't think anyone is better off sitting behind a desk. Think about it, what is more natural? Human beings have been working on their feet with their hands for thousands of years. Sitting at a desk all day is about as unnatural as it gets and can come with its own set of problems. Lift safe, lift smart and know your limits. If you're killing yourself on a service truck that's your problem. I've been running a service truck for years and I'm not afraid to call for help when need be, but I'm able to get 'er done on my own as well. Everything in moderation.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
The only thing that has smashed me so far is drilling 38mm holes with the 7kg ramset into concrete walls on a ladder. Did 6 last week and the muscles on the backs of my arms are still sore.

At my old company if we needed anything above 1" we just got a 2" hole cored.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Look at all this fatherly advice I'm getting Haha. Loving it. I said I'm open to ideas and you guys have given me many good ones. Keep feeding me your advice, it's really really useful to me and I appreciate all the blunt opinions for this. Thank you so much everyone.

Who knows, I might go into computer science in university and back drop to trades if needs be.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.