Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do dining room receptacles have to be on a 20A circuit? At work, we did a K&T rewire and put dining room receptacles on 15A. This code article suggests that's wrong. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Do dining room receptacles have to be on a 20A circuit? At work, we did a K&T rewire and put dining room receptacles on 15A. This code article suggests that's wrong. Am I missing something?
No, you did not misinterpret the code.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Yes dining receptacles are required to be on 20A

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

210.11 Branch Circuits Required. Branch circuits for lighting and for appliances, including motor-operated appliances, shall be provided to supply the loads calculated in accordance with 220.10. In addition, branch circuits shall be provided for specific loads not covered by 220.10 where required elsewhere in this Code and for dwelling unit loads as specified in 210.11(C).

210.11(C) Dwelling Units.
(1) Small-Appliance Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits shall be provided for all receptacle outlets specified by 210.52(B).
210.52(A) General Provisions. In every kitchen, family room, dining room, living room, parlor, library, den, sunroom, bedroom, recreation room, or similar room or area of dwelling units, receptacle outlets shall be installed in accordance with the general provisions specified in 210.52(A)(1) through (A)(3).
210.52(A)(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all wall and floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A), all countertop outlets covered by 210.52(C), and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.
Exception No. 1:  In addition to the required receptacles specified by 210.52, switched receptacles supplied from a general-purpose branch circuit as defined in 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, shall be permitted.
Lots of reading....:)

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Ok, maybe I'm wrong, but 210.52(B) covers the small appliance branch circuits, which are allowed to extend to pantries, dining room, etc. and if you're not putting the dining room receptacles on the sabc, you were okay with a 15 amp circuit
The code required outlets in a dinning room are required to be 20 amps.

If you add additional outlets you might be able to argue they could be 15 amps but I would not.

(B) Small Appliances.

(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all wall and floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A), all counter-top outlets covered by 210.52(C), and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
I'll mess this up more. I run only one of the two required sabc's into the dining room. I run the two required sabc's to the kitchen (or more).....

By the way, who runs so many outlets into a dining room that you need to use multiple circuits anyway? Next question- who besides the maid ever actually uses any of the stupid required receptacle outlets in a dining room anymore? Not me. Mine are never used. The code is full of chit sometimes.

Reactions: jrclen

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
The code required outlets in a dinning room are required to be 20 amps.

Unless of coarse that dining room circuit would be your in addition to your already supplied 2 SABCs.
I think the code makes it pretty clear the dining room has to be on a 20 amp circuit

it states 2 or more SABC

the only exceptions I see are for a refrigetor circuit or switched receptacles in addition to the required receptacles

nowhere does it list the dining room as an exception

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
I think the code makes it pretty clear the dining room has to be on a 20 amp circuit

it states 2 or more SABC

the only exceptions I see are for a refrigetor circuit or switched receptacles in addition to the required receptacles

nowhere does it list the dining room as an exception
Looks like I may have miss read the OP, I thought he was asking about a separate circuit for the dinning room.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
(3) Kitchen Receptacle Requirements. Receptacles installed in a kitchen to serve countertop surfaces shall be supplied by not fewer than two small-appliance branch circuits, either or both of which shall also be permitted to supply receptacle outlets in the same kitchen and in other rooms specified in 210.52(B)

(1). Additional small-appliance branch circuits shall be permitted to supply receptacle outlets in the kitchen and other rooms specified in 210.52(B)(1). No small-appliance branch circuit shall serve more than one kitchen.

(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all wall and floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A), all countertop outlets covered by 210.52(C), and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts