Electrician Talk banner

220v kick heater. Code question

1368 24
This is a little complicated to explain. I have a 220v kick heater. The manufacturer instructions and diagram says you have to run a third wire to the snap disk thermostat if you use a remote thermostat. Otherwise you louse the protection of the snap disk thermostat. But if you do that one heating element is hot all the time and the heat thermostat shuts off one leg to the motor which defeats the purpose of the fan delay snap disk. To be safe you have to run 220v to the motor to take advantage of the fan delay and 220v to the remote thermostat to shut down the heater while the 220v fan can run till the heater cools down.
Is It a code violation to run 220v to the motor with one leg going through the fan delay snap disk. Otherwise the fan delay shuts off with the heat thermostat.
It’s a lot, but I hope I gave you enough information to understand my question
Thank you, James ODonohoe
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
Sub transient reactance X”d worshiper.
632 Posts
I don't think it's necessary to open both legs of a 240 heater, a basic standard 2 pole wall-mount thermostat opens only 1 leg for control then when it's turned all the way down there's sort of a click or detent that opens the other leg. This qualifies it for use as both controller and disconnecting means.

In the OPs case, one of the wires is a constant hot. Another is the element controller and the third one is the fan controller. The reason is that once the element is disconnected, the fan needs to keep running to cool the element down.
X2 on this as well, this is very important for element longevity.

The thermostat should also should be:

Line current design capacity.

Proper heat anticipation function and set up. To prevent temperature over shooting with element cooldown mode.

Should be supplied by the manufacturer but check to see if it can perform the function.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts