Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Journeyman Electrician
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on 230.85 Emergency disconnecting means. I saw this the other day..with a 3 wire going into the main panel located inside with grounding conductors and grounded conductor bonded. Something tells me this is not correct with the labeling??? Any help would be appreciated thank you.....this is a job my buddy is working on...he is licensed as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
Electrician
143 Posts
That doesn’t sound right. If that’s the first disconnect then that’s where the neutral and ground should be bonded and the inside panel would actually be a sub panel requiring a four wire feed to it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
You are correct. Neutrals and grounding conductors need to be separated at the sub panel and bonded at that meter disconnect.

·
Registered
Journeyman Electrician
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks its what I thought...I just wanted to verify. If a 3 wire was to run inside to the main panel can a meter main even be used then? Does it just need to be labeled differently?

·
Registered
Electrician
143 Posts
I don’t think you can use it in that manner regardless of the label. Aside from the code violations I don’t think the enclosure would be bonded to the ground properly.

Can you just run a SER cable to the inside panel and install it correctly?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on 230.85 Emergency disconnecting means. I saw this the other day..with a 3 wire going into the main panel located inside with grounding conductors and grounded conductor bonded. Something tells me this is not correct with the labeling??? Any help would be appreciated thank you.....this is a job my buddy is working on...he is licensed as well.
If that disconnect has no overcurrent protection that it is compliant.
You can have the emergency disconnect on the exterior and still do the system bonding jumper at the panel in the basement or house as long as the overcurrent protection is in the panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
You are correct. Neutrals and grounding conductors need to be separated at the sub panel and bonded at that meter disconnect.
Not if the main overcurrent protection is not in the emergency disconnect.

·
Registered
Electrician
143 Posts
You can have the emergency disconnect on the exterior and still do the system bonding jumper at the panel in the basement or house as long as the overcurrent protection is in the panel.

But isn’t that just a meter main with a different label to let everyone know it complies with 230.85? I can almost see the breaker through the door in the upper left of the photo.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I bet if he took a pix of the whole enclosurer you would see it is a Milbank meter/disconnect combo and the 100 amp main breaker comes installed with it.

·
Registered
Electrician
143 Posts
I bet if he took a pix of the whole enclosurer you would see it is a Milbank meter/disconnect combo and the 100 amp main breaker comes installed with it.
I agree, if Milbank was making a new product that satisfies 230.85 and doesn’t incorporate a main breaker I haven’t seen it yet.

·
Registered
Journeyman Electrician
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gents,

There is an OCPD in the meter main and one in the main panel inside backed up to it.

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,684 Posts

I would agree except it says "Service Disconnect" as well.

I think for your statement to be true it would have to say “Emergency Disconnect, Meter Disconnect, Not Service Equipment” or somewthing like that, and be a switch only, as you stated.

This code is new to me as well so I could be mis-understanding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts