Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i recently installed 2 new numax 12v , 170 amps , 1000cca batteries on my boat , when started the volt gauge quite happily sits at 28 volts , what i cant understand is the battery warning light stays on after start up but goes off after about 15 minutes when the engine is under load , the alternator is a self regulated 28v 30a , forgive me but im totally confused any help or advce would be appreciated , thxi

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
938 Posts
Well micky, the owners of this site will want you to fill out your profile before we start answering questions.

I am curious though, what is the battery warning light warning about?

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
4,627 Posts
automotive wiring has to be the most messed up design ever!
You would be further ahead to post on an automotive based forum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well micky, the owners of this site will want you to fill out your profile before we start answering questions.

I am curious though, what is the battery warning light warning about?
thanks for reply really not sure, it stays on after the engine is running for around 10 to 15 minutes then goes off once i increase the revs and stays off , just a bit concerned i might be missing something , i dont think its the alternator as the batteries are charging up

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
1,875 Posts
Sounds like a one wire Delco 10SI alternator. If so, that’s just the way these alternators roll. They will not charge until you increase the engine revs to about 1/4 throttle then they excite and charge.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,046 Posts
28v is to low to charge 24v setup. More rpm allows the alternator to reach 30v where the regulator will kick in and the light turns off

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks so much for that i was thinking the alternator was giving up , ok fully understand it now , thanks for youre help , appreciated

·
Registered
969 Posts
Install a smaller pulley on your alternator so it spins at a higher RPM and it will start charging at a lower engine rpm

·
Estwing magic
25,095 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.