Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of putting all 240v circuits in the top of panels , so that the lights in a house do not blink, when those 240v circuits kick on? I have heard this more than once. I never had a problem not doing this.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Has anyone heard of putting all 240v circuits in the top of panels , so that the lights in a house do not blink, when those 240v circuits kick on? I have heard this more than once. I never had a problem not doing this.
Never heard of the placement of breakers causing problems for others. The bus bars should be able to provide ample power to each breaker, despite it's size and location.

What tool(s) do you guys use to measure wire gauge size when it is not printed on the conductor's jacket or the jacket is not visible?
For small wire, I use plain old experience. IF you do this long enough, you can tell the size by touch. Larger sizes, I'd use a micrometer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've never came across an issue of 240 placement in a panel but it is a smart thing to research

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
What tool(s) do you guys use to measure wire gauge size when it is not printed on the conductor's jacket or the jacket is not visible?

Holy sbject change Batman!

Use your strippers.

Breakers on top? Hmmmmmmm. I don't see how that would make a difference.

·
Registered
31,896 Posts
Strippers on 4/0????? I understand the posters question we usually do a SWAG (SCIENTIFIC WILD ASS GUESS).

As for breaker placement the issue of light flicker and voltage drop in my experience is not with the panel bus (assuming the bus and breaker connections are in good condition) The issue is usually in the utility supply, utility transformer and other distribution conductors.

·
Registered
617 Posts

The busbar and the service wires are the constant in this equation, no matter what is fed first it will recieve the same voltage drop as anything else.

Infact whatever is at the bottom of the bus will have the greatest voltage drop, although it has nothing to do with loads switching on.

If a 240v load switches on and dims the 120 branch circuits, there is a problem with the service feeds.(or feeders if this is a sub-panel)

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
If a 240v load switches on and dims the 120 branch circuits, there is a problem with the service feeds.(or feeders if this is a sub-panel)
......or nothing at all. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Since were on the topic, what are some reasons lights blink? for instance my lights dim when my nieghbors hot tub kicks on. And how much dimming is acceptable? And what are some of the reasons to give customers who ask about dimming lights? Thanks bk

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
Well ,, it pretty much depending on the transformer size and the number the house the transformer serving.

IMO most POCO will just send a undersized transformer just big engough to handle the load nothing more unless someone add insane load to the system.

try that with instat electric tankless waterheater i know one unit was sized at 24 KW yeah this is not a misprint at all. it did smoked out the 25 KVA can right off after few house have thier central A/C running full speed and this guy have his instat WH kicked on few time it getting annoyed pretty good

Merci , Marc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.