Electrician Talk banner

240V Line to Neutral?

695 Views 17 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  220/221
Hello guy, new here and new to the workforce. Silly question, are you able to get 240V from Line to Neutral. If so how? I have heard of 240V L TO N but I dont understand how that is possible
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
37,001 Posts
One way is to install a two to one winding ratio Boost transformer fed with 120 volts and then ground one end of the secondary. Never saw one and you would probably have to make it yourself.

I have a variable transformer at my shop. It has a dial on the top that lets you drop from 120v nicely all the way down to 1 volt by turning the dial . It's all open windings so we only keep it around for no reason at all............

Reactions: ZacharyBob

· Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,932 Posts
It is also called an open delta transformer. But this is only on 3 phase.
You do not state where you measured the voltage, or what electrical system you were working on.

Hope you had your PPE on.

· Registered
24 Posts
I use to work on a single phase center grounded 480v secondary that provided 240V to neutral. It was a very old street lighting system and the center tapped 480V was provided by the utility. There were no line to line loads.

· Registered
Industrial Wireman
136 Posts
Hello guy, new here and new to the workforce. Silly question, are you able to get 240V from Line to Neutral. If so how? I have heard of 240V L TO N but I dont understand how that is possible
Isn't there a weird system it's either grounded b phase or high leg or something where you get 240 I can't remember off top of my head

· Registered
industrial E,I&C
4,786 Posts
If you really need 240v to N then use can use a 240 to 240 transformer. Most of the time we will use it to convert 240 single phase to 120/240 but will a little rewiring you make it 240V to N

· Hackenschmidt
14,410 Posts
Three phase delta has one leg that is 200 and something volts.
High leg delta you get 208V line to ground / neutral on the high leg, 120V line to ground / neutral on the other two legs.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Isn't there a weird system it's either grounded b phase or high leg or something where you get 240 I can't remember off top of my head
Corner grounded 240V delta you get 240V line to ground on the two ungrounded phases, but there is no neutral.
Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Composite material

To get 240V to neutral, you'd have to have either a 415V wye like @oldsparky52 posted, or I suppose if you had a center tap on a 480V winding, that would be 240V phase to neutral. You could see this at the transformer terminals, but I don't think you'd see it past there - not that I know of. If I did see it and verified the meter's not messing with me, I guess I'd wonder if there's a miswire in a transformer.
Rectangle Font Line Slope Parallel

· Registered
Industrial Wireman
136 Posts
High leg delta you get 208V line to ground / neutral on the high leg, 120V line to ground / neutral on the other two legs.
View attachment 172902

Corner grounded 240V delta you get 240V line to ground on the two ungrounded phases, but there is no neutral.
View attachment 172903

To get 240V to neutral, you'd have to have either a 415V wye like @oldsparky52 posted, or I suppose if you had a center tap on a 480V winding, that would be 240V phase to neutral. You could see this at the transformer terminals, but I don't think you'd see it past there - not that I know of. If I did see it and verified the meter's not messing with me, I guess I'd wonder if there's a miswire in a transformer.
View attachment 172901
That's right don't see it much. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts