Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a different product out there that cuts off (photo cell) power to a pole light? Ex. The photo cells that I use keeps 1 leg on the pole on at all times. It only turns 1leg of power off . I normally use a 120 a relay or a contactor with a120 volt photo cell as control voltage. But a lot of service calls I going on has a 240 photo cell that controls the fixture. Thanks for the assistance.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Is there a different product out there that cuts off (photo cell) power to a pole light? Ex. The photo cells that I use keeps 1 leg on the pole on at all times. It only turns 1leg of power off . I normally use a 120 a relay or a contactor with a120 volt photo cell as control voltage. But a lot of service calls I going on has a 240 photo cell that controls the fixture. Thanks for the assistance.

You have to feed the coil of a contactor to kill the power in all of the ungrounded conductors.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some fixture do have those that I work on. I see more and more 12' pole light use a 240v photo cell . But only 1 leg is hot all the time on the fixture. Trying to find a safer option . I don't agree with the way the fixtures are being controlled.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Just wondering, why do you need to trip all legs? Most 208, 240, and 480 volt fixtures I see work well with a single pole photo control. When doing service I just trip the breaker. Never rely on a photo cell to keep the fixture de-energized even if it trips all legs.

None of the photo cells that I know break 2 poles but they are rated 208 and above:

http://www.acuitybrands.com/search?brand=Dark_to_Light&perPage=600

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The button type is what I'm referring too. What bothers me is durning the day time the light is off. But it still has power on the fixture . Which it has a chance to short circuit or get energized . I just think there should be a less costly way to cut off the power to fixture. Than to install a relay or contactor .

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Some fixture do have those that I work on. I see more and more 12' pole light use a 240v photo cell . But only 1 leg is hot all the time on the fixture. Trying to find a safer option . I don't agree with the way the fixtures are being controlled.
It's no different from 240v baseboards where the t-stat interrupts only one pole. What is unsafe about a 240v pole light operating off an individual photocell with one leg hot at the fixture? In a cobra head fixture both poles are hot on the terminal strip anyway, and a QUALIFIED electrician or service personnel should know that.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
The button type is what I'm referring too. What bothers me is durning the day time the light is off. But it still has power on the fixture . Which it has a chance to short circuit or get energized . I just think there should be a less costly way to cut off the power to fixture. Than to install a relay or contactor .
Then install another photocell for the other leg.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts
You're overthinking this. A photo cell is not a protective or safety device. It's only purpose is to turn on/off the load so that manual operation is not needed.
If the light is wired properly, including properly grounded, then any short will trip the breaker. And as was already stated, don't rely on the cell to make sure no power is at the load.

There are lots of 2-pole 208 or 240V devices that only have one leg broke or switched. One being a flow or pressure switch for heaters in baptistry tubs. The safety part comes from the OCPD and proper wiring.

·
Registered
14,592 Posts
I never seen stdt photo cell . I think it could be a issue. I guess I'm the only one who thinks this way ?
Yes. Most of us don't rely on a controller to keep the power off while we are working. That's a disconnects job.

From an NEC point of view though we can't technically install a PC that breaks only one leg for 208, 240, or 480 discharge lighting, 410.104(B). Just more dumbing down by the NEC, like handle ties on MWBC's.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once again u come to this forum to get a answer to a question. And ur told ur not qualified. Just because I don't spend all my spare time beating other people down . Doesn't mean I or other people are not qualified to ask a question well forgive me .

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Once again u come to this forum to get a answer to a question. And ur told ur not qualified. Just because I don't spend all my spare time beating other people down . Doesn't mean I or other people are not qualified to ask a question well forgive me .
You got a number of answers didn't you?? Or did you not get the answer you thought you should. Tell us what you want to hear. And don't get all weepy because someone questioned your qualifications. ;) What do you do in your spare time if you don't spend it "beating other people down"?:laughing:

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts
I only saw one reply that may have suggested you weren't qualified.

The rest, including myself, were only pointing out what the cell is for and not to rely on it to kill power.

I think your question was also answered. No PC that breaks both legs. Well I don't know of one anyway.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ur correct I did over react ! I agree with everything that is commented here. I just wanted to see what other people thought .
I know my answer I wanted to see if any one else thought it might be another product .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.