Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
12,135 Posts
Looks like it's past the life expectancy.

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its below metal grating under a sidewalk area, the wire says 1969 on it, We are doing a job adding a 200 amp service disconnect off the line side of the switchgear here and i decided to take a look at the other side of the switchgear and this is what i found which made us stop and look into fixing this.

· Registered
Commercial Field Service for Tesla Journeyman
57 Posts
Out of curiousity arent they a little close for the voltage to jump to the other phases
120/208 is not as big a "jump hazard" as higher voltages. Arcing isn't really an issue till you are into the 5kv range and up. That looks like a manufactured terminal end for bus duct so it was engineered to meet all the standards to ensure safe operation. I used to work in a steel wire plant that had a leaking roof that over the years rotted the bus away till it failed. What a brilliant display of fire works that made

· Premium Member
20,216 Posts
I think if a bird landed on that, a chuck of rust fell between two of the phases, the whole thing would either explode or just burn itself clear.
I would condemn it or close the door behind me.
But,
I don't think I would risk touching it.

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I need to repair this service before i can add onto it, i need to repair the damaged service conductors (2500 amp bus duct) bus duct consists of a 90 degree elbow that stubs into a transformer vault.
Bus duct is old from 1969 no luck finding any replacement.
I am thinking of removing bus duct, installing nipples out of the back of the switchgear to a large weatherproof junction box in the vault, running my service conductos off the busbars through nipples and jbox and coming out of the bottom of the jbox with chase nipples and having utility connect directly to transformer.
I would like to drill and bolt mechanical lugs onto the existing bus bars in switchgear and run 6 sets 600kcmil conductors for 2500 amps.
Anyone see any isses with that?
Are the busbars listed to be drilled and have mech. lugs bolted to.

· Banned
12,728 Posts
BS. That switchgear has a good 50 years left in it. Not everything is supposed to look brand new forever.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.