Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should probable know the answer to this but. Today I installed a 250v, 20amp, single recept. for a copy machine. I installed the recept. using the ground to ground and hot to each screw. and i connected it to a 2 pole 20 amp breaker on a sub panel with seperate ground and neutral bar. Every thing works fine.

My questions is I though anything electronic needs a neutral wire?

·
Administrator
EC
22,468 Posts
Was there a plug on the unit? If it had a straight 240v cord cap then it does not need a neutral. Not everything needs a neutral.

·
Registered
14,350 Posts
Not if it has it's own internal control transformer or a power supply that does not need the neutral. That is if anything inside runs on anything other than 240.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plug configuration (2 horizontal slots and a ground) matched the cord configuration whats why though it should be correct becouse I know they design cords and plugs not to be interchangable to avoid accidental hazards but the equipment probable costs 10,000.00 or better and not using the neutral kinda worried me.

Thanks for the imput

·
Registered
387 Posts
:eek:So you installed a circuit for a machine and haven't checked the requirements for it? I've seen a lot of high pressure black smoke (you know, the stuff that makes electrical goodies work) get let out over stuff like that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I should probable know the answer to this but. Today I installed a 250v, 20amp, single recept. for a copy machine. I installed the recept. using the ground to ground and hot to each screw. and i connected it to a 2 pole 20 amp breaker on a sub panel with seperate ground and neutral bar. Every thing works fine.

My questions is I though anything electronic needs a neutral wire?
You will only need a "Neutral" if the machine controls in it that needs some 120 VAC to run it.

·
Super Moderator Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
3,066 Posts
You will only need a "Neutral" if the machine controls in it that needs some 120 VAC to run it.
Please see the link below. A profile is required here at Electrician Talk. Please make sure to include occupation and general location.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.