Electrician Talk banner

2P arc fault breakers being eliminated?

3231 Views 11 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  JohnR
I went into the SH the other day, and asked for a 2P AFCI breaker for a GE panel. There is a MWBC or two in a panel swapout, and the requirements for this job is that all circuits possible be AFCI protected.
Anyway, I was told that GE no longer makes 2P AFCI breakers in 15 or 20A.:blink: " use a handle tie" BTW, we don't have any of those in stock.:no:

Following it up at another competing SH, I asked if Seimens had done the same thing. To shorten the story, I found out that they stopped making the single stage models "AF" and only make the 2 stage model "AFCI". Also after a call to the Seimens rep, I found out that Seimens made the GE breakers for GE. :eek: Didn't know that.
So, Seimens is still making the breakers, but it takes over 2 weeks to get 3-2P 20A AFCI?

Has anyone else found it hard to get GE arc faults?

If I did use a handle tie with two single pole, do the Neutrals need to be jumped together? How would that still work?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was using the terminology of the SH guy, I think it has to do with series faults or series / parallel faults, the latter being termed combination type. Not haveing the specs in hand, (can't get the breakers) One of them has some type of GFCI or GFPE protection.

I did a quick check of this pdf I don't see anything that says two stage. Good read though.

· Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, with slight rumbles of 2008 coming this fall, and 2011 in Jan.:blink:

What I am trying to do, is make some existing AL wiring "safer" so that the insurance co will continue in coverage for the homes wired that way.

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
36,924 Posts
You don't need a two pole AFCI when using GE. You can use two single poles to accomplish the same thing, and only hook up one neutral. It will be cheaper by the way to do that. If you are sharing the neutral as in a multiwire branch circuit that you are protecting, then yes a handle tie is required on the two breakers nowadays. Still ends up about $50 bucks cheaper than buying a two pole Afci breaker.

Reactions: JohnR

· Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You don't need a two pole AFCI when using GE. You can use two single poles to accomplish the same thing, and only hook up one neutral. It will be cheaper by the way to do that. If you are sharing the neutral as in a multiwire branch circuit that you are protecting, then yes a handle tie is required on the two breakers nowadays. Still ends up about $50 bucks cheaper than buying a two pole Afci breaker.
I didn't think that would work using two single poles, I had the idea that they were like gfi's that trip out at any difference of power throughput.

· Registered
1,681 Posts
the siemens do. That is why on their arc-detect tool it shows you the ground fault level. I find it weird that siemens makes the GE breakers, when the GE breakers do not have the GF protection and the siemens do.

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
36,924 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.