Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there's a receptacle in this house, one wire going to it is cut and the other goes somewhere lol
I use my pen tester and it lights up, lights up on the box and the wires. I pull out my meter and I get 0 volts between everything. I get an extension cord and plug it into a receptacle in another room. I then meter out between the ground of the extension cord and the ground wire of this receptacle box and I get 2v. Thoughts?

·
Senile Member
30,706 Posts
First thought no re-reading of your post. Try a wiggie instead of a digital meter and then go look for an open hot upstream.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
So there's a receptacle in this house, one wire going to it is cut and the other goes somewhere lol
I use my pen tester and it lights up, lights up on the box and the wires. I pull out my meter and I get 0 volts between everything. I get an extension cord and plug it into a receptacle in another room. I then meter out between the ground of the extension cord and the ground wire of this receptacle box and I get 2v. Thoughts?

Sounds like your ground isn't !
follow the ground wire and see where it goes
something loose, or not connected somewhere.

:whistling2:

·
Registered
149 Posts
lol. I second the wiggie for anytime a dmm gets ghost volts, picks up some induced current, or possible something backfeeding from god knows where.
The cut wire could be an issue but I'm not sure

·
Senile Member
30,706 Posts
Go look for an open hot upstream......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts