Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wiring a 3 phase 4 wire 120/208 200A 42 circuit breaker panel tomorrow. I am going to use 3/0 copper and #6 for ground. I then started second guessing myself about the wire size. The neutral will not be counted towards the ampacity because it is only drawing the unbalance current. I dont have to upsize my 3/0 because of the more than 3 wire in a conduit rule right? Everything is going to be 120v single phase loads. Only using 14 circuits. As long as I balance my phases, I shouldnt have a problem with inspector.

thanks for your input.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I am wiring a 3 phase 4 wire 120/208 200A 42 circuit breaker panel tomorrow. I am going to use 3/0 copper and #6 for ground. I then started second guessing myself about the wire size. The neutral will not be counted towards the ampacity because it is only drawing the unbalance current. I dont have to upsize my 3/0 because of the more than 3 wire in a conduit rule right? Everything is going to be 120v single phase loads. Only using 14 circuits. As long as I balance my phases, I shouldnt have a problem with inspector.

thanks for your input.

Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
If you follow the guidelines of the NEC there's little you could do to mess it up. Even if you didn't balance the loads.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
darren79 said:
That could totally mess it up since the OP is in Canada:laughing:
Good point. Change NEC to CEC and the sentiment remains

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,067 Posts
Good point. Change NEC to CEC and the sentiment remains
Another few code cycles and CEC will be reduced to NEC standards, SE cable, no panel divider, NMD ( Romex for you guys) entering panels with no connectors, :eek:. Maybe even no need to have a license to call yourself an electrician

·
Registered
374 Posts
No, other than you're calling for a Grounding conductor, not a bonding conductor...

Also, Im assuming you're counting the neutral conductor in your pipe fill, and you didn't mention if this is a service, subservice, or sub panel.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Is the nipple rigid steel with 4 lock nuts and bushings?

Either way, I would run a bonding conductor to be safe, but thats all it is.... an equipment bond.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts