Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just switched from resi to comm. and I worked for first time on a 3p 208Y panel today. Do you always run a ground with your "hot" from box to box or you can use the conduit as a ground path?

thanks

·
Banned
1,486 Posts
just switched from resi to comm. and I worked for first time on a 3p 208Y panel today. Do you always run a ground with your "hot" from box to box or you can use the conduit as a ground path?

thanks
Added Security to run a ground . You do not have to run one , but after seeing
all the broken pipe runs in commercial work ceilings .

Pete

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts

thanks
I M O , always run a ground !

Animated-Flag-Canada.gif

B T W , I live in Quebec , CANADA.

·
Registered
214 Posts
CEC permits EMT to be used at the EGC, however it is still a good idea to pull a wire. I was in an arena / college / high school the other day, and found that they were relying on the EMT as the EGC. Probably a huge cost savings on a job that size, but somehow a little unsettling.

·
Registered
317 Posts

thanks
I always run a ground wire. Tu travailles ou?

·
IBEW MEMBER
383 Posts

thanks
technically yes, but most cities dont allow it. I wouldnt do it.

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
Here in the states there is a condition where medical healthcare facilities require a double redundant grounding system for certain areas. There is HCF MC cable that has a double redundant ground but I will run EMT with a secondary ground. It maybe more labor intensive but in certain jobs it is beneficial.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are be talking about grounding or bonding?

if we are talking bonding (branch CCTs), I would have to say that in a steel structure building where conduit is strapped to steel perlings or gerts or Q deck or steel truss ect. like every 5 ft that the bonding is as good as you can get even if someone forgets to tighten a connector. so pulling a bonding conductor is a waste of money in that type of builing.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
If BBQ were here he'd set you all straight on ground wires in steel conduit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts