Electrician Talk banner

3 Phase Neutral

2K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  Chrisibew440 
#1 ·
I have seen different types of work done by different electricians. I've seen shared neutral in a panel where the neutral is identified with numbers on the neutral bar. I also see neutral being tape to the hot conductor an inch of coming into the panel with electrical tape to identify the neutral belonging to those circuits. My question is, if none of method is available on the neutral, how do I ID the neutral? I know the code said that on a share neutral the circuits have to simultaneously trip all the circuit that is sharing the neutral. Like a 3 pole breaker, but in reality that is not the case. There's people pulling circuit 1, 3 and then 1,3,11 with the same neutral.

#4 ·
Chrisibew440 said:
They're doing that because they're hacks. Electrically it works but ethically not.
There's nothing hack about it. Read 210.4(D) and it's exception. It doesn't say anywhere that the circuits in a raceway need to be landed in numerical order. Any halfway decent electrician should know how to determine how a mwbc is fed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.