Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, here's what I got,

4 4/0 wires, 3 phases and a ground

they are already in place and ran to the location I want. The panel it used to feed was removed. Now the "customer" (Navy) wants a new panel installed utilizing the existing feeds.

however they want the panel to be 3 phase with capability of using single phase breakers for various equipment.

Without a neutral is that even possible?

if I re designated the 4/0 ground to be a neutral can I run a new ground in a separate conduit?

Thanks for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
Super Moderator
Retired
18,211 Posts
Is the run in metal conduit?

If your AHJ allows this, you can use one wire for the neutral and use the conduit for the EGC.

Otherwise you will need a transformer for all the single phase 120/240 volt loads.

ps..........No can do on the EGC in a separate conduit.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,577 Posts
If it's for your building and it's still in good shape in pipe, use the pipe as your ground.
If it's a building covered by NAVFAC, swing by their shop and say hello.
We had a great working relationship with the SeaBees when they were here. 409 moved out back in 2001 or so.

Most of the old abandoned wiring we leave is still good. If we cut it flush to the pipe there is a good chance it isn't any good. Meg them out to be sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's all in good shape, I work with NAVFACs electrician here and there, Seabees only do HVAC here, when things are slow I find other things to do, I will see if NAVFAC has a megger, and good idea on the transformer I'll mention that in my assessment, it's 120/208

·
Coffee drinking member
14,577 Posts
WiredGuy said:
It's all in good shape, I work with NAVFACs electrician here and there, Seabees only do HVAC here, when things are slow I find other things to do, I will see if NAVFAC has a megger, and good idea on the transformer I'll mention that in my assessment, it's 120/208 Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com
Glad to hear they help you out.
Here our SeaBee unit only did small jobs. Mostly they would deploy for a few weeks and then pick up were they left off. They were a great group an always had coffee cooking.
Good luck and welcome to ET.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome! and it's too damn hot here for coffee! I'm from Michigan and we are on extended orders in NORCO, CA, I'm roasting like a peanut in this monkey suit ;)

·
Coffee drinking member
14,577 Posts
WiredGuy said:
Thanks for the welcome! and it's too damn hot here for coffee! I'm from Michigan and we are on extended orders in NORCO, CA, I'm roasting like a peanut in this monkey suit ;) Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com
Heck that's easy to fix. This Nov call your detailer and beg boot pushing duty up here. I'm sure you'll remember how much you hated the winters here and dreamed of a warmer climate.

·
Buy a codebook
126 Posts
Wirenutting has in my opinion the best way to do it, if its metal and approved/listed as an equipment ground, and knowing the Navy, everything is galvanized steel heavy wall conduit like the Air Force. Your going to need to check the entire raceway for solid tight connections, concentric knock outs need bonding/grounding locknuts or bushings but other than that the conduit is a very good equipment ground. And depending on size flexible connections, if needed can be bonded around from the outside of the flexible conduit, (I think 6' maximum) and then you end up with a 4W three phase feeder. Maybe the Navy has some do's and dont's of their own that might limit that but in the place of strict rules your AHJ may allow it. I hope all the 4/0's are copper, if not OCP changes. Other than that with the new loads watch voltage drop, derating and all that fun happy stuff but it doesn't matter anyway because the military isn't required to adhere to any Uniform Construction Code or even the NEC for that matter. What power!!! Good Luck with it all and many Thanks!....... for your service and sacrifice for our country....... If you need ANYTHING, come on here. Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.