Electrician Talk banner

3 phase?

773 Views 15 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  splatz
Hoping someone can tell me if those top 3 lines appear to be hot indicating 3 phase would be available there? Thanks
Sky Urban design Plant Tree Residential area
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Electrician
2,591 Posts
More pictures needed of transformers. Only transformer I see is single phase. If a Lineman chimes in they may see more than me. Just call your POCO. Top lines do all have insulators.

· Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,928 Posts
Even if there is 3 phase on the pole, the POCO may not let you have 3 phase of any voltage at your house/shop. A lot depends on how the line is loaded. Next will be the costs that you WILL INCUR for this new service, could be 10's of thousands of dollars. From the picture you will be paying for the new transformer. If you can prove you have the load to make this happen. Most utilities in Arizona do not allow 2 meters on a single structure.
I had a buddy out in Queen Creek and he wanted 3 phase because of all the wood working equipment he had. APS dredged up every excuse that they could to prevent him from getting a 600 amp 3 phase service. They finally allowed him a 400 amp service (240v)but he had to feed his house from that service. His shop was a separate building, the 3 phase delayed his house by about 5 months, this was almost 20 years ago.

Wish you luck,

· Super Moderator
Florida, USA
9,242 Posts
Hoping someone can tell me if those top 3 lines appear to be hot indicating 3 phase would be available there? Thanks View attachment 172857
I can't believe those people have gravel yards.

That stuff gets to like 175F in the summer heat.

· Registered
Ready-Mix Electrician
3,933 Posts
do you know how to do roof beam load calculations?

I will be your best friend.

I don't know how to calculate a roof beam load, but I know how to test one. On Friday I hoisted a 15hp IR T-30 compressor up on an elevated pad in a boiler room using a chain hoist hooked onto a rafter. The rafter passed with flying colors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts