Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Competition of mine put in a 3 pole breaker for a single phase load (the pedestal job)
Now the customer is asking me if that is legal?
Any long term repercussions of this?

What do you think guys.

100amp 3 pole GE Spectra
100amp single phase underground RV pedestal circuit.:001_huh:

·
Ax grinder
2,053 Posts
There is no NEC section that prohibits putting a single phase load on a three pole breaker.

It is not a great design but not a code violation.

Chris

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've done it more than once over the years, but at the very least it's not real cost effective. I always put A on A and B on C, not that it matters, just the way I've always done it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Neither of the devices cares whether it sees a single or three phase load, it just wants to do it's specific job and this make everyone happy. Perhaps this competitor had one laying around and just wanted to re-coupe some of their investment from another job. Obviously it satisfies the letter of the code.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,435 Posts
No problem. Just extra expense for three pole. However, If 3 pole was all I had I would use it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
No problem this end also. Just seems such a waste. But otherwise - if it's all you have to hand and you don't care who follows you to make a joke at your expense - why not?

Frank

·
Pse
6 Posts
If you have a single phase 120/240 or 120/208 system, you would have to go by the manufacturer's specifications written on the panel. All Cb's that are acceptable are listed on the enclosure. No one should install a 3p cb in a single phase panel. Please note this is an improper installation. 3p cb's are to be used only for 3 ph systems, not single phase. Note, that one 3 pole cb is made (for special applications) in single phase systems ... i.e -.these are for switched neutrals only. Be advised that the manufactures instruction supperceed the NEC (as they are UL listed) for the application by the manufacturers design. My opinion is no 3p cb's in single ph electrical systems.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Competition of mine put in a 3 pole breaker for a single phase load (the pedestal job)
Now the customer is asking me if that is legal?
Any long term repercussions of this?

What do you think guys.

100amp 3 pole GE Spectra
100amp single phase underground RV pedestal circuit.:001_huh:
Approved...or not...for the purpose comes to mind.

·
Circumcised Member
277 Posts
I've done it more than once over the years, but at the very least it's not real cost effective. I always put A on A and B on C, not that it matters, just the way I've always done it.
Do you check the voltage afterwards? If it's in a single phase panel, you're not going to get 208/240 volts unless the bussbars are swapped.

·
Pse
6 Posts
Do you check the voltage afterwards? If it's in a single phase panel, you're not going to get 208/240 volts unless the bussbars are swapped.
What do you mean your not going to get 208/240 volts unless the buss bars are changed? These are two different service systems mentioned as examples, the more common 120/240 (delta & wye). But I'm curious about buss bars are swapped? I have mentioned looking @ the manufactures specs ... gives V/A/max ckts., gives cb's & grnding requirements Keep in mind no panel (universal or not) may accept interchangeable Cb's, unless they are listed (by the manufacturer) for use in other panels! Whether they fit or are altered to fit. Always check with the AHJ in your area for complete clarification of code issues!

·
Registered
15,893 Posts
What do you mean your not going to get 208/240 volts unless the buss bars are changed? These are two different service systems mentioned as examples, the more common 120/240 (delta & wye). But I'm curious about buss bars are swapped? I have mentioned looking @ the manufactures specs ... gives V/A/max ckts., gives cb's & grnding requirements Keep in mind no panel (universal or not) may accept interchangeable Cb's, unless they are listed (by the manufacturer) for use in other panels! Whether they fit or are altered to fit. Always check with the AHJ in your area for complete clarification of code issues!

What he's trying to say is that if this breaker is in a single phase panel, and he lands his wires where he said, they will both be on "a" phase, thus,like he said, no 240 volt

·
Circumcised Member
277 Posts
What he's trying to say is that if this breaker is in a single phase panel, and he lands his wires where he said, they will both be on "a" phase, thus,like he said, no 240 volt
This is 1/3 of what I was saying. Another 1/3 of what I mentioned is: the ability of some panels to unbolt the breaker "fingers" from the main buss bar and swap them. Therefore it would rearrange the A-B-A-B-A-B to A-B-B-A-A-B. The last 1/3 is: a single phase panel served from a wye 3 phase panel. It would have 208 between the two hot legs.

Clear as mud huh.

·
Registered
15,893 Posts
This is 1/3 of what I was saying. Another 1/3 of what I mentioned is: the ability of some panels to unbolt the breaker "fingers" from the main buss bar and swap them. Therefore it would rearrange the A-B-A-B-A-B to A-B-B-A-A-B. The last 1/3 is: a single phase panel served from a wye 3 phase panel. It would have 208 between the two hot legs.

Clear as mud huh.

Whywould you do all that instead of landing it on "b" phase?

·
Circumcised Member
277 Posts
Whywould you do all that instead of landing it on "b" phase?
snip... I always put A on A and B on C, not that it matters, just the way I've always done it.
I've never had to do it, though I've seen some rearranged buss fingers on a panel at a school once. There was a huge permanent maker description of what was flip flopped on the inside of the dead front.

·
Pse
6 Posts
Response

There should be no issue about buss design if you install breakers that belong in 1ph panels. Because a 3p 3ph cb fits dosen't mean it can be installed in a 1ph panel. In fact 95% of the electrical inspectors would not accept this type of installation. NEC even says "designed for the purpose" (fact).

·
Circumcised Member
277 Posts
There should be no issue about buss design if you install breakers that belong in 1ph panels. Because a 3p 3ph cb fits dosen't mean it can be installed in a 1ph panel. In fact 95% of the electrical inspectors would not accept this type of installation. NEC even says "designed for the purpose" (fact).
Do you have a reference for your 95% claim? You noted it as a fact, twice.

Code also states, "By special permission, the authority having jurisdiction may waive specific requirements in this code or permit alternate methods where it is assured that equivalent objectives can be achieved by establishing and maintaining effective safety."

Technically an inspector could waive that requirement as the main objective has been met and safety maintained.

But please, don't let that distract you from the first question I asked.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
What is this 'AHJ' 'Inspector' thing you speak of?:jester::eek:

Absolutely. If I need to get paid- done. Not sure about the 'A'- 'C' thing though.

·
Registered
15,893 Posts

care to back that up?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts