Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use a 3-way dimmer switch on one end and a standard 3-way on the other end?

I know they have pairs or kits for this but I just need dimmer on one end.

If so, does it matter which end the dimmer goes on, ie; line or load?

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
You can use dimmer/switch with the dimmer on either end, however it's very annoying because then if you turn on the light on the switch end and the dimmer is turned down . . .
Or you can spend the money and get a high-end dimmer with a slave.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
Customer wants to go the cheaper route, of course!
It doesn't take people long to remember to dial the dimmer back up to full bright before (or right after) turning off so the remaining 3-way or 4-way functions normally. I happen to have 3 sets of traditional round knob "cheapies" in my master bedroom. I do not like the LEDs in the more expensive 3-way pairs, there's enough goddamn lights between the cable box and 2 alarm clocks and humidifiers and whatnot. Further, I prefer the ease of use of a knob as I can dial the light level instantaneously without having to hold the paddle down for 1...2...3...4... seconds.... F that.

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,643 Posts
It doesn't take people long to remember to dial the dimmer back up to full bright before (or right after) turning off so the remaining 3-way or 4-way functions normally.
Tell that to my parents, who have had a three way dimmer/switch arrangement in the hall near the bedrooms for as long as I can remember, and when you flip the switch end, the light is ALWAYS dim, or so dim it's off.

Personally I detest 3 way dimmers arrangements. If a light is on a dimmer, it should be controlled from one place only. I really dont like 3 ways, period, but they are a necessary evil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.