Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im putting one of these in a laundry room. I am going to bypass and blank off the second 3-way and just let the sensor control the room (its tiny). Just curious tho .. If this was a larger area would I have to purchase two 3 way sensors or just a sensor and a standard 3 way switch?
Now that i think about it I just need a regular occupancy sensor not a 3 way since Im bypassing the second switch. Still what do you for a larger area??

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
You don't have to install a single pole.

You rewire the existing 3 way.

Just installed one Saturday.
I'm just saying you can't leave the 3way switch connected as it is, you gotta change the wiring and effectively make it a single pole switch.

Figured that out on the first one ever, hooked it up and it wouldn't work. wtf, it's junk! Finally read the instructions... :whistling2:
Wouldnt it be better to just eliminate the other switch? Is the regular 3 way just so they can shut the lights off when they want?
So you can turn it off or on.. who knows, the sensor might not work perfectly, why not just keep the switch there? You don't HAVE to use it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FrunkSlammer said:
I'm just saying you can't leave the 3way switch connected as it is, you gotta change the wiring and effectively make it a single pole switch. Figured that out on the first one ever, hooked it up and it wouldn't work. wtf, it's junk! Finally read the instructions... :whistling2: So you can turn it off or on.. who knows, the sensor might not work perfectly, why not just keep the switch there? You don't HAVE to use it.
I hear ya. Its like 10x10' room tho ha

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Yeah i like the wattstoppers. Problem is its an open ceiling. Pretty sure those ceiling mounted wattstoppers mount onto a tiled ceiling
Have you never mounted a smoke detector in an unfinished basement or a heat sensor on a bar joist? Staples for wood, zip-ties for steel. It looks great

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you need to get overlapping motion sensor coverage for a large area (for a single lighting load) simply parallel connect the sensors (white-white, black-black, red-red). As long as someone is moving in an area covered by a sensor, the lights will remain on. We like the RAB LOS series, they're made in both wall mount and ceiling mount versions

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.