Electrician Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wiring guest cottage for a customer. Homeowner wants a 3 way switch between the guest cottage and the main cottage. Problem is the service is setup in that each building has its own service off the same meter. If I run power feeding off the guest cottage to the main cottage. Would I need a disconnect in the main cottage?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
I'm wiring guest cottage for a customer. Homeowner wants a 3 way switch between the guest cottage and the main cottage. Problem is the service is setup in that each building has its own service off the same meter. If I run power feeding off the guest cottage to the main cottage. Would I need a disconnect in the main cottage?
No you would not.

If it's to control lights in the cottage then use a circuit from there and have a dead end 3 way at the house.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya that was my plan however my thought is that is the main breaker is shutoff in the main cottage there would still be power on that 3 way from the guest cottage obviously. So I was just thinking about the safety standpoint that if someone were to turn off the main and begin to work on that switch assuming it was dead it would not be

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Ya that was my plan however my thought is that is the main breaker is shutoff in the main cottage there would still be power on that 3 way from the guest cottage obviously. So I was just thinking about the safety standpoint that if someone were to turn off the main and begin to work on that switch assuming it was dead it would not be
You can leave a tag that says"FED FROM GUEST COTTAGE"in the switch box.

·
Registered
12,376 Posts
hydro said:
If you are concerned you could put a label at the main or use a X10 type of remote switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts