Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to wire a switch setup exactly as shown, with power coming from the switch:

I currently have an old single pole switch providing power to the three way setup. This looks pretty simple though there is something minor that I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts?

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Trying to wire a switch setup exactly as shown, with power coming from the switch:

I currently have an old single pole switch providing power to the three way setup. This looks pretty simple though there is something minor that I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts?

If you are feeding from a single pole switch .... then where is your neutral ?

:eek:

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
You have the power going to the wrong screw on your 3-way switch. It should be connected to the black "common" screw'

Not sure if this is actually a legal setup, by the way.

12-106 Multi- and single-conductor cables
(1) Where multi-conductor cable is used, all conductors of a circuit shall be contained in the same
multi-conductor cable except that, where it is necessary to run conductors in parallel due to the capacity
of an ac circuit, additional cables shall be permitted to be used, provided that any one such cable
(a) includes an equal number of conductors from each phase and the neutral; and
(b) shall be in accordance with Rule 12-108

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Vintage Sounds said:
You have the power going to the wrong screw on your 3-way switch. It should be connected to the black "common" screw' Not sure if this is actually a legal setup, by the way.
Didn't notice the jumper off the single pole is in wrong location. As vintage said!!
Ya and would use first light as connection point then jump to second with 2 wire.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So right now there's already a wire connected to the common screw. So I should create a pigtail from the old switch and tie it to the common?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
So right now there's already a wire connected to the common screw. So I should create a pigtail from the old switch and tie it to the common?
No, you should reverse the connections of the two black wires on the 3-way switch. You have a traveler where the hot should be and a hot where the traveler should be. When I say pigtail I mean take the hot, strip it, take two scrap pieces of black wire about 7" long and splice the three together so that each switch can have its own individual hot. That way you won't have that hideous jumper going from the first switch to the 3 way.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,721 Posts
The jumper from the sp switch needs to be insulated or someone is going to get hurt. That wire should go to the point wire of the 3 way. Actually it should feed the point wire of the remote 3 way-- I'll explain why later.

The point wire from the first 3 way should be the switch wire going to the light-- black wire not the white wire taped black-- at least in the NEC you cannot do that- CEC may allow it in which case ignore what I said except for the insulation on the hot conductor.

You have the basic concept just connected to the wrong terminals. The 3 way travelers should only be connected between the two 3 way switches on the non-point terminal. The feed will be connected to one 3 way point terminal and the switch leg to the other 3 way point terminals

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
That's still hack and you still didn't fix the problem. Take the wire off the single pole switch altogether, splice two pieces of wire onto it, and connect one to the single pole and one to the black screw on the 3 way. You still need to remove the 14/3 black from the common screw and connect it to the traveler screw where you previously had the hot connected(the upper brass screw).

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
the wire you pigtailed off the hot wires goes to the black screw on the 3 way switch

the red and black out of the 3 wire go to the brass screws on the 3 way switch

doesnt matter which brass screw

the white goes with the other whites (neutrals)

this is of course assuming your switch leg is on the other end of the 3 way

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Ok you got the pigtail right but you still haven't put the black wire from the 14/3 on the correct screw. Assuming you wired the rest of the setup properly it should work once you move that wire.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.