Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My electrician half-switched one outlet for us in each room. It is controlled by 3-way switches.

Example 1:

Switch at door is down, Switch at bed is up. Lamp is on.
I turn off switch at bed, so that switch is now down.
Lamp is turned off while both switches are down.
In the morning I turn switch up at door. So, door switch up and bed switch down.

How can I make it work so lamp turns on and off in this scenario?
Lamp will not turn on. This scenario is important because it is in my daughter's room. When we go to bed, we turn lamp on when walking into room. We turn it off at bed after story time. Then I turn it back on at door in the morning and need it to work.

Thank you!

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, this isn't normal is it? I know I've seen this scenario work before that I am looking for, but I wanted to make sure before I question him on it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Both switches should be able to turn the light on and off despite the position of the opposing switch. Your electrician has his wires crossed.

·
Registered
12,376 Posts
Big John said:
Have a real electrician come back and fix it.

No excuse for an experienced professional not to be able to correctly wire a 3-way.
And the fact that he didn't check it after he was done says a lot.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.