Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this panel is 3 wire feed . There is a rod at location with 6awg attached, in field now per 230 this is ok I believe . No metal between buildings plastic gas line....Nec 2011 cycle in this local, this is viewed as separate service correct. Advise thanks . This out building is a garage.

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
RGH, If it meets the exceptions in 250.32(B)(1) you should be good to go.

"The N run with the supply to the bldg. can serve as the ground fault path if ALL the following continue to be met."

1. An EGC is not run.
2. There are no continuous metal. paths bonded to the grounding system in each bldg.
3. GFCI protection of equipment has not been installed on the supply side of the feeder.

Is there a main bonding jumper in there?

We know you are in the field and we are scrambling, except for Peter.:laughing:

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bonding screw in place. No gfic protection. To home inspectors 1 other sparky viewed this mess home being sold I am pricing corrections I felt minor correction leave fed PAC alone. Not the method I would of used there, but this is the way she lays..... Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is no such thing as grandfathered in......lol. I believe it would be alot safer if this was wired as a sub panel. You have a ground rod but no ground wire back to main panel. I say that's a no no. Sell a new sub those stab locks look like a problem Waiting to happen. Good luck

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Installations are viewed as compliant as to cycle of Nec at that time not now. This thread was for an exception to 250 re: methods. As This method was common 20 years ago that cycle applies till panel is replaced, or same methods can be used in new install if all criteria is meet under exceptions.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
There is no such thing as grandfathered in......lol.
Ok, so we get a mandatory windfall of work every three years then

I'm in! :thumbup:

I believe it would be a lot safer if this was wired as a sub panel. You have a ground rod but no ground wire back to main panel. I say that's a no no. Sell a new sub those stab locks look like a problem Waiting to happen. Good luck
Would it be just as safe with two services from the same pole then...?

~CS~

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
View attachment 35545 this panel is 3 wire feed . There is a rod at location with 6awg attached, in field now per 230 this is ok I believe . No metal between buildings plastic gas line....Nec 2011 cycle in this local, this is viewed as separate service correct. Advise thanks . This out building is a garage.
One problem though, the panel isn't balanced. There's 5 circuits on one leg and 3 on the other.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.