Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a question about a 3000amp main switch board with 10 meter sections. The Utility room can’t fit everything on 1 wall, so they want the pull section and 3000amp main on 1 wall and the rest of the gear on the other wall. Has anyone dealt with this before? How did you connect the Main with the rest of the gear? I reached out to Cutler Hammer, but still haven’t received a response.

Any thoughts or ideas…Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hi everyone, I have a question about a 3000amp main switch board with 10 meter sections. The Utility room can’t fit everything on 1 wall, so they want the pull section and 3000amp main on 1 wall and the rest of the gear on the other wall. Has anyone dealt with this before? How did you connect the Main with the rest of the gear? I reached out to Cutler Hammer, but still haven’t received a response.

buss bars/duct

·
Registered
147 Posts

If this is new construction, then you would go underground from the pull section to rest of the gear on the other wall.
If its not new construction then go overhead.
It would be (8)3-1/2"c with (4)500kcmil cu, 1 #400kcmil cu e.g. each.
Either way its no big deal. Its done quite often.

·
Premium Member
Professional Engineer (MD, VA, DC, DE) and licensed Master electrician (DE and MD)
138 Posts
There's actually an advantage to doing it this way from an arc flash standpoint. With the main breaker being remote from the distribution gear, that gear can take advantage of the arc flash reduction from the 3000-amp main breaker. Otherwise, if it was all in the same cabinet, the arc flash rating would be associated with the line side of the main breaker.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Best and easiest way would be with a corner pc. from cuttler hammer. But if not, then under ground would work fine if the gear has room and a way to make up feeders. If the gear was designed and built to be bolted as one then you probably do not have appropriate make up area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.