Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Commercial kitchen equipment made in Japan with motor controllers in a noodle-making machine. The inverters cause 6ma GFCI to trip on power up. The equipment manufacturer stated the trip be a minimum of 30ma. My contractor states this will not meet NEC of 6ma. Any ideas on how to address this issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Commercial kitchen equipment made in Japan with motor controllers in a noodle-making machine. The inverters cause 6ma GFCI to trip on power up. The equipment manufacturer stated the trip be a minimum of 30ma. My contractor states this will not meet NEC of 6ma. Any ideas on how to address this issue?
"In the USA, the operating threshold for a GFCI for personal shock protection is 6mA. In most of the rest of the world, the threshold is 30mA. There are two reasons for this difference. The fi rst relates to safety, and the second relates to technology"

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Then it’s not UL listed because no commercial cooking or food process machine with that much leakage could get one. Purchase a compliant SAFE MACHINE and not 3rd rate crap from Alibaba.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
8,941 Posts
"In the USA, the operating threshold for a GFCI for personal shock protection is 6mA. In most of the rest of the world, the threshold is 30mA.
Wow, I guess people are shocked easier in the USA, EH !!

I thought you guys down there were tough ?? :p

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Wow, I guess people are shocked easier in the USA, EH !!

I thought you guys down there were tough ?? :p
Ground fault circuit breakers or I should say earth leakage detectors in foreign countries have a 30 mA threshold Because they protect entire panels not just singular circuits or single loads.

So collectively, an entire circuit breaker panel protecting a number of circuits throughout a premise, is expected to have a couple milliamps of leakage on each so the one ELCB had a greater tolerance.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,520 Posts
I moved this to its own thread. The threshold for equipment protection is 30 ma however because people are in constant contact with the equipment the gfci is there for protection for people which is set at a max of 6 ma

Reactions: emtnut
1 - 8 of 8 Posts