Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a residential project. Client is having me install a 400 amp service in an obscure way. Basic set up is 2 200 amp panels. 1 is to be located in the garage 40 feet away. So i have to install a 200 amp breaker next to the main panel (positioned for easy runs to attic). My plan was to bring in 2 sets of 4/0 AL through 2.5" schedule 40 PVC into the breaker enclosure. 1 set would feed the disconnect and the other set would pass through the disconnect, through a nipple, into the main panel. AHJ is telling me i cant pass through the disconnect because of 230.7 and 230.70(a). I believe 312.8 applies which permits my plan. 230.70(a) seems to be really nitpicky as the nearest point of entry is like 2' away. And i really dont see how 230.7 applies.

·
Registered
Estimator/PM last couple years. Switched to electrical trade in 1995.
62 Posts
The service disconnecting means has to be at closest point where service entrance conductors enter the structure. 'passing through' the first disconnect to 40' away to second disconnect violates this. I would put up 400a service rated fused disconnect and bring parallel conductors to this. Bond everything, than the 2 panels become sub panels no Main breakers needed.

·
Registered
12,535 Posts
I quoted some of the code for reference.

The gutter space of a panelboard cabinet or other electrical equipment enclosure is not a raceway (as defined in Article 100) and is not subject to the requirement of 230.7

This is part of 312
(3)
A warning label complying with 110.21(B) is applied to the enclosure that identifies the closest disconnecting means for any feed-through conductors

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The service disconnecting means has to be at closest point where service entrance conductors enter the structure. 'passing through' the first disconnect to 40' away to second disconnect violates this. I would put up 400a service rated fused disconnect and bring parallel conductors to this. Bond everything, than the 2 panels become sub panels no Main breakers needed.
The panel 40' away would be fed from the disconnect with 4 wires. The disconnect would essentially be a main panel. So in the enclosure, 3 wires terminate, 4 wires originate , and 3 pass through

·
Registered
62 Posts

The gutter space of a panelboard cabinet or other electrical equipment enclosure is not a raceway (as defined in Article 100) and is not subject to the requirement of 230.7

This is part of 312
(3)
A warning label complying with 110.21(B) is applied to the enclosure that identifies the closest disconnecting means for any feed-through conductors
This is a SERVICE. Disconnecting means has to be closest point where se's enter building. Which is why inspector referenced 230.70a

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This is part of 312
(3)
This is a SERVICE. Disconnecting means has to be closest point where se's enter building. Which is why inspector referenced 230.70a
230.70a is such a stretch. Conduit through the foundation into an LB into the breaker enclsoure. Disconnect A (200 amp breaker) and Disconnect B (my main panel) are going to be within 2 feet of each other. I mean if you really want to get technical, the nearest point of entry would always be the back of the disconnect right above the main breaker.

·
Registered
62 Posts
230.70a is such a stretch. Conduit through the foundation into an LB into the breaker enclsoure. Disconnect A (200 amp breaker) and Disconnect B are going to be within 2 feet of each other. I mean if you really want to get technical, the nearest point of entry would always be the back of the disconnect right above the main breaker.
I interpreted your first post as saying you were running one set of se's to a disconnect, and the other set you were going to pas thru the disconnect and go 40' away before there was a disconnecting means. If I misinterpreted...my apologies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I interpreted your first post as saying you were running one set of se's to a disconnect, and the other set you were going to pas thru the disconnect and go 40' away before there was a disconnecting means. If I misinterpreted...my apologies.
No worries. just to be clear, I want to run 3 wires to a disconnect and then 4 wires from that disconnect to the subpanel 40' away. I also want have 3 more wires pass through that disconnect to the main panel which would be within 2'.

·
Registered
62 Posts
One question may be...is the breaker disconnect a panel as recognized in 408? If an enclosure, 312 applies and 'barriers' is listed and is compliant as long as space is sufficient.
In a panel every wire that enters or leaves it, must be connected to either a breaker or lug. Cannot pass thru. However the inspector did not reference 408.
I have used a raceway to pass se's through a trough, (312),
but not a safety switch, panel or breaker disconnect.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,672 Posts
Maybe I’m misunderstanding but it sounds like your service disconnects would not be grouped?
That's how I am seeing it. Service discos must be grouped. I assume the garage is attached?

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,672 Posts
Didn’t he say they were two feet apart?
The point of entry was 2' away so I presume he had one disconnect inside and one outside

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The point of entry was 2' away so I presume he had one disconnect inside and one outside
Ok, so i was going to bring a piece of conduit through the wall, LB into breaker enclosure, then nipple into main panel. from entry of service conductors, there will be approximately 2' from main panel. I suppose i could just come inbetween the panels with a "T" conduit body and feed each panel that way.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts