Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are LED tubes being used in underground parking that runs 347V, and LED tubes require 120V? Is there a converter being used? How does this work?

·
13,020 Posts
I've used a couple Phillips T8 LED replacement tubes as replacements for fluorescents (they're really expensive so it was only like 4 lamps total or something). The instructions said to take apart the fluorescent fixture, cut all the wires off the fluorescent ballast, and basically connect the incoming voltage directly to the lamp sockets. In my case it was 120 volt, but the lamps were suitable for anything between 100 and 277 volts. The built-in LED driver automatically detects the voltage as long as it's in the proper range.

I imagine that LED lamps sold in Canada would have a similar feature for the 347 you guys utilize. However if your lamps specifically say 120 volt, then that's what you would need to supply them with. What brand are your lamps?

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
How are LED tubes being used in underground parking that runs 347V, and LED tubes require 120V? Is there a converter being used? How does this work?
What is your role in this? Are you selling LEDs?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I've done an office reno with LED tubes and it was a pain in the ass to rewire every fixture. The tubes had a "dead end" so you had to wire a hot and neutral to a non shunted tombstone on one end and nothing at the other. The tombstone they gave you with the lamps were garbage too. I have only heard of 120v tubes never a 347v. The tubes cost a hell of alot of money and I found the light output blew.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Since the market for 347 volt is probably very small I doubt they make a 347 volt input LED tube.
Soif it requires 120 volts you need to rewire the entire string of lights for a 120 volt supply or install 347 volt to 120 volt transormers and have the lumianires recertified for the modification. It all looks very expensive to me and I would think you won't recoup cost to convert out of the energy savings.

Maybe a t-8 conversion would benefit?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts