Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 347v lighting in the building i'm in, with 600v buss. I'm interested in testing the lights after changing ballast, starters, igniters, sockets, or whatever the case may be. The question I have is what would you recommend as the easiest, cleanest way to make a 600/347v test receptacle? I was thinking a twistlock receptacle to plug the lights in to try them because all the lights already have a twistlock 347v 20a twistlock plug ends... but I need to get the 600 down to 347 WITH a neutral. let me know what you think!?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think you need 1 hot and a neutral wire. That's how it works down South with 480 /277 we have here with 277 lighting.
But before that maybe you should get an electrician to add an outlet to test lights in your maintenance shop.

If your lighting is 347V, then you have a 600/347 y service. All phases measured to neutral should be near 347V.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I have 347v lighting in the building i'm in, with 600v buss. I'm interested in testing the lights after changing ballast, starters, igniters, sockets, or whatever the case may be. The question I have is what would you recommend as the easiest, cleanest way to make a 600/347v test receptacle? I was thinking a twistlock receptacle to plug the lights in to try them because all the lights already have a twistlock 347v 20a twistlock plug ends... but I need to get the 600 down to 347 WITH a neutral. let me know what you think!?

Welcome to the forum.

Are those twist locks for twist lock photo cells?

Just cover them with a black glove and they will turn on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah your right i do have 600/347Y. I have disconnects for weld power suplies at basically every column(600v). The closest panel i can rob 347 with a neutral is fairly far to be able to test the repaired lighting. So i want to be able to test lights off of a 600v receptacle. This lighting is indoor high bay MH.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It looks like 600 V transformer selection is limited down here. Can go to 120/208 or 277/480 or 12/240. Can have one custom made single phase 600 to 347. Could run a lot of pipe VS a transformer. Are your ballasts multi tap? Maybe test it at 600 then reconnect for 347?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes, you can make up a test cord using SO and twistlocks with just one hot and neutral terminated. In our plant we have a a bunch of 120Y208 drops and we use these for both single and 3 ph equipment, depending on how we wire up equipment plug. To ensure correct rotation we make sure phases match up with the x,y,z on the twistlock the same thruout the plant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The balasts do have multiple taps for different voltages... Thats an idea. It is a single phase 347v light. 1 line, 1 neut, 1 gnd. I was curious as to where the eaiest spot was to get the neutral from. I could bring another drop down from the ceiling off the lighting circuit too. I havent looked too hard yet but a small va transformer from 600 to 347y would be great. Might be hard to find? Not sure if its that common?
Thanks for the replies. First time on a forum. Worth it already!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
sparkywannabee said:
Yes, you can make up a test cord using SO and twistlocks with just one hot and neutral terminated. In our plant we have a a bunch of 120Y208 drops and we use these for both single and 3 ph equipment, depending on how we wire up equipment plug. To ensure correct rotation we make sure phases match up with the x,y,z on the twistlock the same thruout the plant.
This makes the most sense to me after thinking about it. I assume your working on a lift anyway. Take your parts up with ya drop a cord to working height . What ever is easier for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This makes the most sense to me after thinking about it. I assume your working on a lift anyway. Take your parts up with ya drop a cord to working height . What ever is easier for you.
That would work great but i have over head bridge cranes in the plant. I could run some conduit down the side of the building.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.