I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,311 Posts
Got a story to go along with that Dash?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joefixit2 said:
Yes that would be nice. Is that a plain old heat gun? Or a hair dryer? And what about the blanket, is it an electric blanket or just an old drop cloth?? By the way I learned a long time ago never to leave the glue open next to the trench.
Yeah all it is, is a heat gun and a drop cloth. We really didn't need it, but another worker didn't believe I could bend 2 1/2" with out a hot box or PVC blanket. I've used this method in a pinch before where I have been off a few inches on stub ups through concrete to been an offset.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I didn't notice the heat gun sticking out of the end lol. What is the dropcloth for then?

Not long into my first year apprenticeship they had me in a hole under what was going to be an electrical room, using a heat gun to reshape dozens of conduit up to 3" that got shifted when the backfill guys collapsed the supports. Never heard of using a heat gun from the inside out though, that is clever.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sounds like someone is getting a taste of first year apprenticeship. Being sent in holes to bend pvc 3" with a heat gun.

I haven't seen the heat gun inside of a pipe to hear it either. I understand how it would work. I just don't understand how it doesn't melt the pipe by the tip of the gun.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Git r done.

That bend looks unnecessary to me though. When I do undergrounds I only heat up pieces when absolutely necessary. It's PVC, you can make that crap do whatever you want.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Use a big pipe, insert smaller pipe, close one end heat with heat gun,
works just have to watch burning outer portion of smaller pipe...Insert
a dead end if heating coupling end!

One can open end if desired it'll just be a 1/3 time longer! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jarp Habib said:
I didn't notice the heat gun sticking out of the end lol. What is the dropcloth for then? Not long into my first year apprenticeship they had me in a hole under what was going to be an electrical room, using a heat gun to reshape dozens of conduit up to 3" that got shifted when the backfill guys collapsed the supports. Never heard of using a heat gun from the inside out though, that is clever.
The drop cloth just insulates the pipe so it heats up faster.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
We get charged out at $69 an hour... its cheaper to grab some .45 and 90. sweeps and return them if we dont use them than it is to mess around bending PVC for underground but I am impressed that worked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.