Conservitum Americum
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is interesting.

What is your take on this concept?

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Wonder if the surge of power to the starter will wear the starter out prematurely. Also, like oliquir said, probably just one shot and that's it.

I just don't see the point.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I was at the NASA exhibit at the Oshkosh air show 15 years ago and they were experimenting with this they had a bicycle powered by capacitors couldn't travel far big advantage is nearly instant charge. Maybe with nano technology it will become useful.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's neat, it'd be good for an emergency booster pack since it would be a lot lighter and smaller than a sealed lead acid battery. I wonder what the drain is like on these things with no load. You'd probably drain it down overnight just keeping the ECMs memory alive, or if you've got an immobilizer or remote starter.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I don't think the caps would carry the amperage the starter requires. Don't KNOW. but I think they'd burn open pretty much instantly. Or explode.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Actually capacitors of that size !
Will hold a substancial charge,
And for more than a few seconds !

I once made the mistake of shorting out a 10F gold cap bank !
To say the fireworks where impressive would be understating it !
completely vaporized all the copper tracks in an instant !

So the charge from 350F would be enormous !
Dont under estimate it !

And no F is not a typo ! I mean FARADS not MICRO FARADS !

·
Senior Moment
7,941 Posts
Super Capacitors are in use all over the world. This one is 12V and is good for many years but are pricey, about $600.

This is one of our suppliers web site and they have a good article on the advantages.
http://polarpowerinc.com/home.htm

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
I'll give it a stab:

A 500CCA battery that was run for 10 seconds would put out 60k joules.

That capacitor will supply 1.09k joules, so it wouldn't provide nearly the same cranking time.

If he had a 12V 833F capacitor, he could get 60kJ.

·
Senior Moment
7,941 Posts
Here is what Polar Power has to say on the subject.
Super-Caps can deliver more cranking amps than any automotive battery and in any weather. We suggest using super-caps in extreme weather installations, helicopter and remote access sites, and where battery theft is a problem. Super caps have a long life of between 15 to 20 years and up to 1/2 million start cycles. The long service life helps eliminate the problem of maintenance crews installing cheap batteries of poor starting reliability. Super caps have plenty of energy to operate glow plugs and crank diesel generators in temperatures as cold as -50°C or as hot as +65°C with multiple cranking attempts. Excellent for LPG/Propane generators too.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Here is what Polar Power has to say on the subject.
Super-Caps can deliver more cranking amps than any automotive battery and in any weather. We suggest using super-caps in extreme weather installations, helicopter and remote access sites, and where battery theft is a problem. Super caps have a long life of between 15 to 20 years and up to 1/2 million start cycles. The long service life helps eliminate the problem of maintenance crews installing cheap batteries of poor starting reliability. Super caps have plenty of energy to operate glow plugs and crank diesel generators in temperatures as cold as -50°C or as hot as +65°C with multiple cranking attempts. Excellent for LPG/Propane generators too.

Wow! That's really awesome. And I missed the F, not uF thing for sure... I never would have thought a cap would crank a car... Shows what I know!

Sent from my iPad using electriciantalk.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
Super Caps are a good choice in electric cars to supplement the main battery.

They provide lots of power at take-off, charge fast in the coasting mode & regenerative braking, weigh very little, stay charged a long time.
Be even better in a hybrid, when you want to jump on the pedal to get moving quickly without having to kick in the gas engine.

·
Conservitum Americum
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The car manufacturers would have implemented this decades ago if it were truly viable.
Not necessarily. What would the battery industry have to say about it? recyclers? Still using 1950's technology on wet batteries.

Actually capacitors of that size !
Will hold a substancial charge,
And for more than a few seconds !

I once made the mistake of shorting out a 10F gold cap bank !
To say the fireworks where impressive would be understating it !
completely vaporized all the copper tracks in an instant !

So the charge from 350F would be enormous !
Dont under estimate it !

And no F is not a typo ! I mean FARADS not MICRO FARADS !
Since caps are additive in parallel, It should be feasible to manufacture something like this in the future.

I'll give it a stab:

A 500CCA battery that was run for 10 seconds would put out 60k joules.

That capacitor will supply 1.09k joules, so it wouldn't provide nearly the same cranking time.

If he had a 12V 833F capacitor, he could get 60kJ.

How much is that cap? Do they even make them?

Would a bank of caps be better or should the least number of caps be utilized?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts