Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
Install, troubleshoot, maintain, and upgrade electrical systems, plant utilities, PLC's, mechanical
1,116 Posts
12/3 gets heavy but you'll never kill a corded tool due to voltage drop.

I've made many of these cords myself, but with current cable prices and good cord cap prices, it might be a cheaper way to go

· Registered
IBEW 6 volts to lightning bolts
1,265 Posts
14AWG works for everything. 12AWG if you have a 20amp plug you need to accommodate. Extension cords are temporary so don’t size it like a home run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
17 Posts
We go through several of these a year.
We have several manlifts, all electric and the men are instructed to make sure they are plugged in every night when they leave the job sites, we only use #12 cords for the chargers and they seem to walk off on a regular basis.
We have tried marking them, putting tags on them, wire tying them to the lifts, and even ordering them in custom fluorescent colors, nothing seems to work to prevent them being stolen or "borrowed".

We used to have problems with the lifts being used by others if we weren't on site and then finding the batteries dead when we needed it, so we installed hidden switches, taking the keys wasn't good enough as some of the contractors just carried their own keys as most are interchangeable.

· Registered
1,265 Posts
We go through several of these a year.
We have several manlifts, all electric and the men are instructed to make sure they are plugged in every night when they leave the job sites, we only use #12 cords for the chargers and they seem to walk off on a regular basis.
We have tried marking them, putting tags on them, wire tying them to the lifts, and even ordering them in custom fluorescent colors, nothing seems to work to prevent them being stolen or "borrowed".

We used to have problems with the lifts being used by others if we weren't on site and then finding the batteries dead when we needed it, so we installed hidden switches, taking the keys wasn't good enough as some of the contractors just carried their own keys as most are interchangeable.
I plug the lifts in at night and drive one of the tires over the cord. Just take the lift keys out

· Registered
Retired Electrician
388 Posts
Has anyone tried these?
Available in three lengths (25', 50', 100')

If that item is accurately labeled as SJTW it is not "Heavy Duty." SJ is Service Cord Junior. The insulation is only rated for 300 volts. T means Thermoplastic. That is certainly not the ruggedest Jacket material available. The W means suitable for use in wet locations. So far that gives you a cord that would be fine for supplying your Christmas lights because the Thermoplastic Jacket will have good low temperature performance. The absence of 1 or 2 Os in the coding indicates that neither the jacket or insulation of the individual conductors is Oil Resistant.

Heavy Duty cable would only legitimately include "SEOOW which means Service Cord, Elastomeric jacket and insulation, Oil resistant jacket and insulation, and Suitable for wet locations and use outdoors exposed to the weather. It is the only portable cord which can be repaired and remain US National Electric Code (NEC) compliant.

--
Tom Horne

· Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,890 Posts
I just bought one of those earlier this year for use at home, but it hasn't seen much service (not much sunlight).

It's seems pretty soft, so I don't know how durable it really is i.e., for real work.

· Registered
1,265 Posts
Thats a good idea, but like I said above, taking the lift keys out isn't enough as many contractors (mainly painters and drywallers) carry their own keys, thats why we had to put hidden Estops on them.
We also take the platform controllers and lock them in the trailer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.