Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
testing a 6 cabin installation today with the main breaker in the off position and the main neutral link open test from incoming supply to neutral bar to find 252 volts. disconnect each neutral and they are all still 252 volts all six neutrals are now at 252 volts neutral bar zero now at 0 all other tests are good any have any ideas

·
Registered
24 Posts
As I read it:
"I was testing a 6-cabin installation today [of the service? power check on new construction being energized for the first time?]. I had the main disconnect in the "OFF" position and the main neutral link [?] open. At this point, I applied my tester's probes to the hot of the service-entrance conductor and the panelboard's neutral conductor. This showed 252 volts. This was unexpected. [Why, exactly?]

"So, I disconnected each of the neutral conductors of the six feeders leaving from this box and going to each of the six cabins [where one might presume there are subpanels--does each cabin have its own ground rod?]. [Totally guessing, here:] Each of the neutral conductors that I just disconnected is also showing 252 volts [between each one and the ground electrode? between each one and the ungrounded conductor[s?] of the feeder? between each one and some other conductor?]. That's right--each neutral is still at 252 volts!

"At the same time, the neutral bar in this box [which is functioning as a distribution panel] still shows zero volts. [Um, your first sentence had me thinking it was at 252 volts--guess I misunderstood you.] That's right, 252 volts!

"All the other tests were good. [What other tests did you do?]"
dee, dude--There are really helpful people, here, but you have to give us a little more information. Seriously. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but we're not lawyers--you won't get charged by the word, and punctuation doesn't cost extra. ;-)

I read this when you posted it, dee, and I really couldn't understand what your getting at. Can you give us a little more info?

Thanks,
Mark

P.S. Newbie question--would the proper name for the box where a service gets split into six feeders, one going to each cabin, be "Main Distribution Panel" (MDP) or something else. For this question, let's say this box is immediately downstream of the meter, there are no branch-circuit breakers in this box, and each cabin has its own ground rod, properly connected to each cabin's panelboard and each panelboard has its neutral and ECG bars bonded together. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts