Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Professional Nit Picker
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK... so how will you (did you) reject the install? 110.3(B)?

Pete
I try very hard NOT to drop the 110.3(B) violation as it seems like a weak stretch sometimes.

I took the picture first, then asked the foreman if it was installed as a joke ?

I asked him how a duplex receptacle can be installed without putting undue stress on the conductors, damaging the conductors, or damaging the device when it hits up against the emt connector ?
Then I questioned the method of mounting the 4 11/16 plaster ring to the concrete wall using 1 screw , over a single gang mud box. I asked him if he thought the ring was designed to be used in that fashion ?

He had no issues with removing it and having it installed correctly. He had a guy working on it by the time I left the site.

I have a good working relationship with the General Foreman, the project Manager and the crew leaders on this project.

How would you have dealt with it? 110.3(B) ??

· Registered
7,017 Posts
Tell me you let this guy slide and all you did was give him a funny look. :laughing:

How could you possibly fail a guy for thinking outside the box like that? :thumbup:

· Electrical Simpleton
3,343 Posts
I try very hard NOT to drop the 110.3(B) violation as it seems like a weak stretch sometimes.

I took the picture first, then asked the foreman if it was installed as a joke ?

I asked him how a duplex receptacle can be installed without putting undue stress on the conductors, damaging the conductors, or damaging the device when it hits up against the emt connector ?
Then I questioned the method of mounting the 4 11/16 plaster ring to the concrete wall using 1 screw , over a single gang mud box. I asked him if he thought the ring was designed to be used in that fashion ?

He had no issues with removing it and having it installed correctly. He had a guy working on it by the time I left the site.

I have a good working relationship with the General Foreman, the project Manager and the crew leaders on this project.

How would you have dealt with it? 110.3(B) ??
FWIW, I think you handled it well. I'm really not sure what, other than 110.3(B), would apply.

Pete

· Administrator
Retired EC
24,975 Posts
300.15 would be the rule

300.15 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, or Fittings —Where Required.
A box shall be installed at each outlet and switch
point for concealed knob-and-tube wiring.
Fittings and connectors shall be used only with the specific
wiring methods for which they are designed and listed.
Where the wiring method is conduit, tubing, Type AC
cable, Type MC cable, Type MI cable, nonmetallic-sheathed
cable, or other cables, a box or conduit body shall be installed
at each conductor splice point, outlet point, switch point, junction
point, termination point, or pull point, unless otherwise
permitted in 300.15(A) through (L).

· Administrator
Retired EC
24,975 Posts
Thats the kicker- there is a box in the concrete behind that ring. If you look closely you can see a conduit going down.
I see it now.... We'll it isn't legit but if the ring is bonded and the box also then it would probably last forever but I believe 300.12 would be the violation

300.12 Mechanical Continuity — Raceways and Cables.
Metal or nonmetallic raceways, cable armors, and cable
sheaths shall be continuous between cabinets, boxes, fittings,
or other enclosures or outlets.
Exception No. 1: Short sections of raceways used to provide
support or protection of cable assemblies from physical
damage shall not be required to be mechanically
continuous.
Exception No. 2: Raceways and cables installed into the
bottom of open bottom equipment, such as switchboards,
motor control centers, and floor or pad-mounted transformers,
shall not be required to be mechanically secured to the
equipment.

· Registered
26 Posts
110.3 (B) a weak stretch!! I don't think so! The installer MUST install all electrical equipment as per Manufactures instructions! A mud ring is to be use on the correct size box!! Cutting hole for 1/2" conduit viololates UL listing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.