Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My customer has a 400 amp overhead service with a meter can with 2 200amp disconnects which is located on the barn. One disconnect (in meter can) is for barn, the other (in meter can) is for the house electrical panel, which is about 60' away.

They bought a 20kw generator with a 200 amp automatic transfer switch which (of course) they want for the main house.

I am perplexed on how to set it up and this is how I think I can do it:

Install auto transfer switch inside house next to main electrical panel. Run new wiring from automatic transfer switch to generator for high voltage and low voltage. So I will have to install new conduit from house to generator for above wiring. Leaving the main breaker/meter can alone....

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,717 Posts
I guess it depends on where the generator will be set-- if the generator is at the house then just install the transfer switch at the house and bring the wires feeding from the barn into it.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,717 Posts
The generator is next to the barn
Is there a disconnect at the barn for the house? If so come out of that to the transfer switch and bring the feeder going to the house into the transfer switch.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Seems like an easy enough set up. Wouldn't you just run from the emergency line side of the ATS to the gen, from the normal line side to the incoming 200A feeder that was going to the panel, and the from the load side of the ATS to the panel?

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
I would set the ATS at the barn by the generator also. Then you will have no trenching or ling conduit runs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes that is making more sense to me now.

I have another post asking about a 400 amp service, wondering if I can ask here.

Customer has 20kw Kohler generator and a 400 amp service, I told em to get a 400 ATS. Will the 20kw generator support the house? Is there a chance he can burn up the generator do to the size of the service?

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
You should be fine. The generator is protected. You only going to take the feed to the house through the ATS anyway. Your really only working with 200 amps of it. Is the house all electric?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.