Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm trying to have my electrician install a ChargePoint Flex 50 EVSE at my residence in California. It supports delivering a maximum amperage of 50 amps. I want to commission the charger specifying a 60 AMP breaker which sets the device to 48 amp max draw. The device only accepts up to 6 AWG wire. The electrician doesn't want to put in a 60 amp breaker on a circuit using 6 AWG, but the device terminal block won't accept 4 AWG.

I've spent too much time looking up NEC and CEC codes and learning that you can never use the 90 degree column because breakers are only ever rated at 75, even though the wire is THHN 90 and the devices says the terminals accept 105. Trying to decipher the tables it looks like it's only rated for 58 amps.

Is there any way to hook this up or is it destined to only be a 40 amp usable EVSE in California?

Thanks for reading,
Mark

Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
Find a 'licensed' electrician, and stop driving the bus. It's his job.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did. I don't want to be driving the bus. When I put out the work for estimates, one said it won't be a problem. The other says he didn't think it'll pass inspection. Apparently what seems like a black and white question isn't. How the inspectors evaluate the "rules" is also a mystery, should they have to point to the rule that says not up to code?

I personally just want it hooked up properly and with the capacity I paid for. This EVSE is one of the top selling units, it just seemed odd to me that it can't be used as advertised in CA which has the most EVSEs deployed.

Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
The problem with these new wall ports and EV is that the technology changes very quickly and the electric codes change every 3 years. Many inspectors don't know what to look for and the car dealers / manufacturers do not know what the codes are. Many HPWC do not conform to older codes.

You are going to get bumped to the DIY site.

Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com.

However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up for a free account at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

This thread has been closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.