Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This transformer will feed directly to a fused disconnect serving a pin and sleeve recep which is used to test a certain motor maybe a couple times a year. The question is do I need to ground this system? 250.20(B) appears to say I don't. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would I need a secondary side equipment ground if I leave it ungrounded? The fused disconnect enclosure is grounded from the gutter it is nippled to

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
meadow said:
Yes. Always run an EGC.
seems simple enough yes. But this is a pretty weird setup for me. I've got two transformers side by side. One with a delta secondary and one with a wye secondary. The wye feeds a panelboard with nipples out the back through a wall into a gutter. The delta secondaries run through the wye panelboard into the gutter sand into a fused disconnect. They threw this delta bullchit at me last minute after I was pretty much done with the project. I got grounds going everywhere and needed some guidance. Thanks all

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big John said:
If it has to be ungrounded and has to be code compliant, you need to meet the requirements of 250.21. Put in some ground-detection lamps and call it good.
Got any one particular brand or setup you like for these?

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Got any one particular brand or setup you like for these?
No. The couple of times I've done it, I've made ground detectors from scratch. Listing schmisting.

You can get this from Platt for $360.

It's literally just three sets of series 120V LEDs connected in a wye. You could also make it for less than $30 with a few 250V neon lamps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.