Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a used boat with a used Kohler Petrol genarator. The generator is placed behind the engine and has around 110 hours on its usage meter. Its a 2005 generator and I believe that was never serviced.

The generator was making around 10 seconds to start then more and then you had to hold the start button for around a minute to make it start. So it was doing the starting noise but if you released the button before it was going off again.

Now no matter how much time I am holding the button it never successfully starts. I convinced my boat mechanic to take a look at it but he is not a generators expert so I am writing here to see if I could find any usefull hints. I asked him to find a way to service the generator without taking the boat engine out (the generator is almost inaccessible because the boat engine is in front of it).

Thanks

·
Registered
880 Posts
This involves more small engine knowledge than electrical knowledge. Go here http://weldingweb.com/ and post in the "Machines, Tools & Cutting Methods" forum or the "Mechanic's Park" forum. There are several guys over there that know gensets inside out, literally. They will want more info, like model number etc.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. As Joefixit2 said, this is more of a small engine issue than one for an electrician's forum. The link he provided would be the best resource to assist you with your question.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.