Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a kitchen reno, the customer house originally had an electric range then the previous owner switched to gas and someone installed a 50A to 15A adapter to be able to plug in the new gas stove.

It was still on a 40A breaker though.. is this allowed? (CEC or NEC)
I told the customer it should have been switched to a 15A breaker.. did I lie?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Doing a kitchen reno, the customer house originally had an electric range then the previous owner switched to gas and someone installed a 50A to 15A adapter to be able to plug in the new gas stove.

It was still on a 40A breaker though.. is this allowed? (CEC or NEC)
I told the customer it should have been switched to a 15A breaker.. did I lie?
You were correct either 15 or 20 at 120V is needed

·
Registered
Electrician
3,662 Posts
I have heard this from electricians on the diy site, so take it as you see it.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Oh crap, that reminds me...

I did this EXACT same thing when I did my kitchen remodel 10 years ago, except with big blue wire nuts and #14 pig tails to attach the #6 to the duplex receptacle. My intent was to go back and do it right when the wife wasn't pressuring me to get the gas stove working. But once I pushed the stove back against the wall, it went out of sight, out of mind! So for the last 10 years, I've had my little gas stove power outlet connected to a 50A breaker...

Well, I guess I know now what I'm going to be doing later this month when she goes off on a trek to Machu Picchu in Peru.

Reactions: dspiffy

·
Registered
11,762 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
11,762 Posts

I did this EXACT same thing when I did my kitchen remodel 10 years ago, except with big blue wire nuts and #14 pig tails to attach the #6 to the duplex receptacle. My intent was to go back and do it right when the wife wasn't pressuring me to get the gas stove working. But once I pushed the stove back against the wall, it went out of sight, out of mind! So for the last 10 years, I've had my little gas stove power outlet connected to a 50A breaker...

Well, I guess I know now what I'm going to be doing later this month when she goes off on a trek to Machu Picchu in Peru.
I hope the circuits at least a 4 wire.

·
Wyome
757 Posts

Me too, except for the Machu Picchu thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.