Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What areas are typically not required to be of fire rated construction? For example would an attic or basement in a restraunt qualify?

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I believe it depends on the attic or basement, occupancy load, distance from those walls to neighboring units (many places designate party walls and walls on property lines or within a certain distance/height formula from property line as a certain rating by zoning ordinances), fire suppression, etc. plans or building code official should be able to tell you if the area is non rated. Even if you got a general rule of thumb answer by reading building code for the type of construction of the facility in question your specific results may vary.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I'm told fire caulking is required penetrating fire rated floors for romex here

What would constitute a fire rated floor in a wood frame structure then?

~CS~

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Prints and architects are as useful as tits on a bull around here. I was wondering about this becuase the inspector was saying all of the wire on this 90 person restraunt I was looking at must be mc. He said it was because the ceiling was not fire rated.
This story ended when I redesigned the service to save a couple of thousand dollars it must have pissed off the engineer because they took my plan and got someone else to do it while I was waiting on the plan review to go through.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Bad ending there UltraOne

But i gotta ask for the threads sake, did you learn just what constitutes a fire rated ceiling or floor? Would this simply mean a 1 or 2 hr burn construction? 5/8 Sheetrock ...?

~CS~

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Prints and architects are as useful as tits on a bull around here. I was wondering about this becuase the inspector was saying all of the wire on this 90 person restraunt I was looking at must be mc. He said it was because the ceiling was not fire rated.
This story ended when I redesigned the service to save a couple of thousand dollars it must have pissed off the engineer because they took my plan and got someone else to do it while I was waiting on the plan review to go through.
did you ask the inspector how he determined the fire rating or lack of in the ceiling?

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This inspector here knows nothing. When he says he used to be an electrician it is hard not to choke him. He calls me all the time for codes and advice when he wants to screw someone. He didn't even care when they did the work bypassing plan review.
The only thing he said to justify it was the engineer agreed to it. So I still don't know where he was comming from becuase it had a sheetrock ceiling. One day I will have to learn more about building codes in general.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
This inspector here knows nothing. When he says he used to be an electrician it is hard not to choke him. He calls me all the time for codes and advice when he wants to screw someone. He didn't even care when they did the work bypassing plan review.
The only thing he said to justify it was the engineer agreed to it. So I still don't know where he was comming from becuase it had a sheetrock ceiling. One day I will have to learn more about building codes in general.
You need to learn the construction types that allow the use of nm cable.

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need to learn the construction types that allow the use of nm cable.
A wee bit Condecending my friend. It of course is not class 2. NM has further requirements in non residential situations. It must be protected by a thermal barrier with a listed 15 minute finish rating.

Does regular sheetrock meet this standard? If I then put a can in this ceiling does it not longer meet this requirment?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
A wee bit Condecending my friend. It of course is not class 2. NM has further requirements in non residential situations. It must be protected by a thermal barrier with a listed 15 minute finish rating.

Does regular sheetrock meet this standard? If I then put a can in this ceiling does it not longer meet this requirment?
No more help for you

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
chicken steve said:
I'm told fire caulking is required penetrating fire rated floors for romex here What would constitute a fire rated floor in a wood frame structure then? ~CS~
Here all new residential and additions the AHJs want all floor and ceiling penetrations fire caulked. Makes a lot of sense with glu lam trusses, wood stud walls and OSB floor sheathing right?

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
you little ankle bitting troll why are you stalking me from thread to thread
Hey wait a second, I called you the ankle biting troll earlier when you were following me around. Unlike you, I can actually prove it just by going to the previous post option. :thumbup:

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
Ask the fire Marshall before the CO. Inspectors don't know what their talking about half the time.

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
Plus if it's single story, who gives a crap about fire caulking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts