Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
353 Posts
Interesting. My main takeaway is that it's a physically small cable, relative to others. A very very long time ago the choke point used to be how quickly the batteries would accept charge. I have a hard time reading clearly biased articles but we have to start somewhere. I'm interested to see if this tech works its way to home chargers- might be a little ways off yet.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
3,072 Posts
I doubt you will see many 520A chargers in a home, can you imagine the service requirements let alone the charger?

520A charging will mean you would once again be stopping at the service station for fuel. Charging, in this case.

Reactions: Wirenuting

·
Registered
353 Posts
I never imagined I'd see 400 resi services either. A reduced version, say 300A, would still be fast. I think this will become reality for consumers shortly after DARPA doesn't need it anymore, and moves on to the next tech. It's not hard to imagine a battery bank supplementing the difference for 5 minutes.

·
Hackenschmidt
12,231 Posts
Interesting. My main takeaway is that it's a physically small cable, relative to others. A very very long time ago the choke point used to be how quickly the batteries would accept charge. I have a hard time reading clearly biased articles but we have to start somewhere. I'm interested to see if this tech works its way to home chargers- might be a little ways off yet.
And I think with few exceptions, the faster the charge, the sooner it wears out the battery. At that speed, I wonder if nuisance heat becomes more than a nuisance.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,737 Posts
And I think with few exceptions, the faster the charge, the sooner it wears out the battery. At that speed, I wonder if nuisance heat becomes more than a nuisance.
It’s quite possibly a part of the planned obsolescence aspect of automobiles now. Everyone wants things instantly if not sooner, so if a hot charge time whittles battery life, well all the better for Elon and the other manufacturers. When a battery replacement exceeds 50% of a new vehicle, and unless the aftermarket steps in, you’ll buy a new automobile and keep making payments.
I personally think the answer is diesel hybrids with high pressure common rail injection. A 20 hp engine should be adequate for town traffic and highway jaunts with batteries to come in when needed. I’m thinking a diesel electric setup like a railroad locomotive but with batteries so the diesel can run at nearly full load where efficiency is highest.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,622 Posts
It’s quite possibly a part of the planned obsolescence aspect of automobiles now. Everyone wants things instantly if not sooner, so if a hot charge time whittles battery life, well all the better for Elon and the other manufacturers. When a battery replacement exceeds 50% of a new vehicle, and unless the aftermarket steps in, you’ll buy a new automobile and keep making payments.
I personally think the answer is diesel hybrids with high pressure common rail injection. A 20 hp engine should be adequate for town traffic and highway jaunts with batteries to come in when needed. I’m thinking a diesel electric setup like a railroad locomotive but with batteries so the diesel can run at nearly full load where efficiency is highest.
This would be even better if it could charge from an AC source and not need a fancy wall-mount charger.

When you get home, plug the car in and it'll charge overnight.....well, maybe not a full charge from a 120 outlet but at least it'd charge somewhat.

·
Bilge Rat
8,622 Posts
Anyone read this new item for charging cables?
Rated at 520 amps for a 5 minute charge.

Looks like it would take energy to cool the cable, how does this figure in to the 'green' crap?

What if the cooling system fails and the wire overheats (rapidly) and catches the car on fire? How does the smoke from the fire figure in to the 'green' crap?

Also, every charging station has a PUCO transformer that sits unloaded most of the time but still consumes a small amount of energy, how does this figure in to the 'green' crap?

I'm all for electric cars but we need to look at the big picture.

·
Registered
Commercial, Fire Alarm
49 Posts
I just finished two bus depots for the local transit authority and they are planning on putting in a great number of electric buses in the coming years. I'm sure they are looking at things like this so that they can reduce charging downtime for the buses to a minimum.

At least around here they have clued in that cars are the problem and the pollution they cause is just an extra problem. Making them electric makes it less bad(supposedly) but reducing the number of cars on the road especially in and around cities is a much better solution.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,858 Posts
I just finished two bus depots for the local transit authority and they are planning on putting in a great number of electric buses in the coming years. I'm sure they are looking at things like this so that they can reduce charging downtime for the buses to a minimum.

At least around here they have clued in that cars are the problem and the pollution they cause is just an extra problem. Making them electric makes it less bad(supposedly) but reducing the number of cars on the road especially in and around cities is a much better solution.
What are or will be the size of the power ports or chargers for a bus and what is the range? Did they let you in onthat secret? NYC was bragging about converting their bus fleet over to all electric but then they have to build some coal and oil plants to charge them.

·
Registered
Commercial, Fire Alarm
49 Posts
I think they said that 200A is enough for three chargers running at the same time but I don't completely remember. They won't be installing the chargers for another few years i think, we just set up the rooms and the conduits so they can run the service entrance as close to the chargers as possible given the size of the load. I think they will install the chargers themselves.

·
Bilge Rat
8,622 Posts
If more than just a few of these get installed, I can see numerous overloads of PUCO equipment and thus, much higher power bills to cover their expenses.

I doubt if anyone has even considered the impact on the power grid, everyone is too busy being a major hero designing fast chargers.

·
Registered
434 Posts
All of this talk reminds me of 30 years ago when I was looking for a used hi-lo, and they tried to peddle me a used electric model with a "reconditioned" battery. A new battery back then cost more than the machine was worth, not counting the cost of the charger and it's installation.

I picked a propane model and have had no issues other than a cranking battery each decade. It's never been stuck dead out in the yard to this day. Nor have I re-powered the charger in subsequent moves. A no brainer. It's been bad enough keeping up replacing battery sets on two manlifts in that time. But what do I know, electric is good, I'm in that business right?

·
Registered
Commercial, Fire Alarm
49 Posts
If more than just a few of these get installed, I can see numerous overloads of PUCO equipment and thus, much higher power bills to cover their expenses.

I doubt if anyone has even considered the impact on the power grid, everyone is too busy being a major hero designing fast chargers.
I'm sure the utilities were pleased that things were going to pick up and then horrified when they realized that nobody would want to pay them to upgrade everything.
Here in quebec almost all the power comes from the hydro dams way up north and i seriously doubt that the government is interested in ponying up for another bunch of dams to cover the demand that seems to be coming. I assume that somebody is frantically trying to find a solution.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,867 Posts
It is a new concept and it hasn't even been tried out on cars yet, from what I read. I hope they do something with it. Of course the chargers will have to be specialized also so they don't heat up.

The technology is still patent-pending and the prototype cord hasn't been tested with an electric vehicle yet
. But Purdue's research is a promising step toward making clean, battery-powered cars as convenient as ones that run on polluting fossil fuels.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts