Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm opening up a Cutler Hammer meter stack next week. dead meter, poco inspector says meter has been dead for 2 years, and is a 5th jaw failure. evidently apartment dweller finally realized he's been getting an estimated bill for this entire time and complained to his landlord. my question to you is, what is the most common failure mode you've seen for these? I've ordered the 5th jaw kit under the somewhat dubious (and cheap) assumption it will be a simple fix, but won't know what's under there until kill the power and pull meter. is a single phase, 208 meter. PSE&G requires the 5th jaw for this application. It's a 1MM412RRL meter stack.

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
From what I can tell from looking at pictures the fifth jaw is just connected to the grounded conductor. I don't see how much could fail other than the wires. That would be my guess on what to check.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
I've never had this issue.

I can't think of anything else that it could be that a 5th jaw kit couldn't fix.

It's either a broken or loose wire running to the neutral bus or a broken jaw. Other than that, it would have to be inside the meter itself.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, J. Eaton's kit is really simple, unless the neutral bar connection is damaged can't imagine that it would be an ugly fix. I'm a bucket/MCC guy more than a service guy. this is a favor for someone...:shifty:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Hack. Appreciate your input. :) PSE&G inspector gave his blessing to proceed when I called him, then followed it up with a 'stay safe'...love those moments...lol

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
I just looked thru a few of my pictures. All the PSE&G single gang meter pans have the 5th jaw connected to the neutral via a small bus bar. The multigang meter pans have the 5th jaw connected via a small white wire that is attached to the neutral bar with a screw. This is most likely the 5th jaw kit that just comes preinstalled.

So if you have a kit made for that meter stack, I think you should be all set.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,743 Posts
I've never had this issue.

I can't think of anything else that it could be that a 5th jaw kit couldn't fix.

It's either a broken or loose wire running to the neutral bus or a broken jaw. Other than that, it would have to be inside the meter itself.
Nice answer for just anecdotal evidence! :jester:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just looked thru a few of my pictures. All the PSE&G single gang meter pans have the 5th jaw connected to the neutral via a small bus bar. The multigang meter pans have the 5th jaw connected via a small white wire that is attached to the neutral bar with a screw. This is most likely the 5th jaw kit that just comes preinstalled.

So if you have a kit made for that meter stack, I think you should be all set.
excellent! I like the sounds of that. thank you, Hack!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got to this: 4 gang stack, the other 3 meters working fine...no 5th jaw 'failure', since not one to start with. Installed kit after pulling other meter to make sure I had right jaw setup. Easy. Also weird, in that someone threw meter in without jaw, and it never worked as a result. Estimated bill for 2 years...wow...

Attachments

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
Finally got to this: 4 gang stack, the other 3 meters working fine...no 5th jaw 'failure', since not one to start with. Installed kit after pulling other meter to make sure I had right jaw setup. Easy. Also weird, in that someone threw meter in without jaw, and it never worked as a result. Estimated bill for 2 years...wow...
What's da ting wit da numberz in da secnd pic?:jester::jester:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts