Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does 210.52 (A) 1 refer to just 1 and 2 family dwellings? I have an inspector trying to apply that article to a hotel that I'm doing. 210.60 (B) spells out the requirements for Hotel rooms.
The hotel rooms do not have any cooking provisions. Inspector originally passed the first 2 floors then came back for 3rd floor and failed us on all 3 floors. Any help would be great.

Thanks

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
210.52(A) applies to all dwellings, not just 1- and 2-family. This is from 210.52.

If there's no permanent cooking provisions, 210.60(A) refers you back to 210.52(A).

What, specifically, were you failed for?

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
210.52 applies only to "dwelling units".

As defined a dwelling unit is: A single unit, providing complete and independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation.

210.52 is only applicable to a hotel room to the extent referenced by 210.60.

It would seem your inspector is a bit confused on the proper application of the NEC in this respect.

Pete

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
Pete nailed it. fwiw

Dwelling Unit. A single unit, providing complete and independent
living facilities for one or more persons, including
permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and
sanitation.
ask the inspector for a minute of his time, put the book on the hood,
and show him the sections. Ask him to explain how the guest rooms
are dwelling units. If he doesn't cave, it's time to call the boss (his),
while he is standing there.

BTW,
it's my opinion that 210.60 supercedes 210.52 the way it is written anyway, even if the guest rooms did have provisions for cooking. but I don't know if that's the correct interpretation or not.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
210.60 Guest Rooms, Guest Suites, Dormitories, and Similar Occupancies. (A) General. Guest rooms or guest suites in hotels, motels, sleeping rooms in dormitories, and similar occupancies shall have receptacle outlets installed in accordance with 210.52(A) and (D).

210.52(A) General Provisions. In every kitchen, family room, dining room, living room, parlor, library, den, sunroom, bedroom, recreation room, or similar room or area of dwelling units, receptacle outlets shall be installed in accordance with the general provisions specified in 210.52(A)(1) through (A)(3).
(1) Spacing. Receptacles shall be installed such that no point measured horizontally along the floor line of any wall space is more than 1.8 m (6 ft) from a receptacle outlet.
(2) Wall Space.As used in this section, a wall space shall include the following:
(1) Any space 600 mm (2 ft) or more in width (including space measured around corners) and unbroken along the floor line by doorways and similar openings, fireplaces, and fixed cabinets
(2) The space occupied by fixed panels in exterior walls, excluding sliding panels
(3) The space afforded by fixed room dividers, such as freestanding bar-type counters or railings

210.52(D) Bathrooms. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900 mm (3 ft) of the outside edge of each basin. The receptacle outlet shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent to the basin or basin countertop, located on the countertop, or installed on the side or face of the basin cabinet not more
than 300 mm (12 in.) below the countertop. Receptacle outlet assemblies listed for the application shall be permitted to be installed in the countertop.

So if you didn't use the '6/12' rule of 210.52(A)(1), you should have failed. It sucks that the inspector didn't catch this on the first two floors, but it sounds like the inspector is correct.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
what version of code are you on ? I don't have 2014, but 2011 allows what you did (210.60 B), which is diametrically opposed to what 480 just said.

210.60 Guest Rooms, Guest Suites, Dormitories, and
Similar Occupancies.
(A) General. Guest rooms or guest suites in hotels, motels,
sleeping rooms in dormitories, and similar occupancies shall
have receptacle outlets installed in accordance with 210.52(A)
and (D). Guest rooms or guest suites provided with permanent
provisions for cooking shall have receptacle outlets installed in
accordance with all of the applicable rules in 210.52.

(B) Receptacle Placement. In applying the provisions of
210.52(A), the total number of receptacle outlets shall not
be less than the minimum number that would comply with
the provisions of that section
. These receptacle outlets shall
be permitted to be located conveniently for permanent furniture
layout. At least two receptacle outlets shall be readily
accessible. Where receptacles are installed behind the bed,
the receptacle shall be located to prevent the bed from
contacting any attachment plug that may be installed or the
receptacle shall be provided with a suitable guard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.