Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea how much 125' of 6/3 is going to cost me? I have a proposal to do this morning for a new exterior jacuzzi. It's a long run across an unfinished attic in a ranch style home. I plan to add a 20-circuit sub panel (surface mount) beside the main panel. Then I'm coming down through a wooden soffit along the surface of the home to the disconnect. From there I have to trench about 15' to the jacuzzi.

I was thinking about $3k for the whole thing.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Your number sounds good. They may however balk when they realized they spent 4 k on a hot tub and they need to spend a few grand more to hook it up.
Any idea of the required circuit?
The last one I did for my patents was a dedicated 20 amp circuit.
I landed a 4*4 pressure treated post at 6' from the back of the tub. And mounted my in use cover on that. Make sure you run your perimeter #8 and bond the pump.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
You should be able to get the 6/3 for $1.50/ft and the #6 for .41ft at the supply house. The spa disconnect should be about $125.
depends on the spa. I had to order a 5 pole disco for a recent spa and it was twice that plus a week in the mail. if it's just a 4 pole, then, yeah I agree.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I would just snake ENT inside and transition to sch 40 on the exterior. Pull conductors, two 6s and two 10s.
But then, the overwire crowd would call that hack, never mind a 6/3 splice.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your inspector will let you run NM in a wet location if it's protected by PVC ?

NM in a PVC raceway is unacceptable. The conductors being used must have a W in the listing, like THHN/ THWN, if they're being used below grade. The romex is being used inside the house, not in the trench. I'm a licensed guy, do you really think I'd do something stupid like that?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
NM in a PVC raceway is unacceptable. The conductors being used must have a W in the listing, like THHN/ THWN, if they're being used below grade. The romex is being used inside the house, not in the trench. I'm a licensed guy, do you really think I'd do something stupid like that?
Also above grade

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.